PDA

View Full Version : Any Thots on this nice 03 I found today?

southfork
03-14-2013, 11:18
I found a very nice condition Springfield Armory 1903 rifle today at a local pawn shop. An old widow consigned her deceased husband's gun collection and they were supposedly being priced at "low book + $200.00". The rifle is in crisp military form and has a serial number of 1241XXX. The metal and wood have almost zero blemishes or apparent wear.

The barrel is marked S.A. over 12-21, and an "A" below the 12-21 date. The wood looks very nice with 2 lateral bolts through the straight stock. No finger groove if i recall correctly. The bolt is still mostly dark black like the rest of the rifle's metal and is marked "N.B." on the bolt handle top- where it connects to the bolt, "3" under the bolt handle where it connects to the bolt, and "B.P." on the bolt itself. The following number is lightly scribed into the bolt as well: 837649.

This Springfield is priced at $900. Is this a reasonable price? I'm seriously thinking about paying 10% down on this 1903 Springfield to put it on 'layaway' for 120 days. I can pay off the total purchase price easier over 4 months. What do you think about this Springfield? It really is in excellent shape.

Also, what should i look for on the stock ( to see if it is correct)? I didn't notice any cartouches of any kind, but I may not have looked in the right places.

My father was with the 1st Marines on Quadacanal for several months. Is this a rifle that would be carried by the Marines in that campaign? I hope so. Does the finger groove or absence thereof tell me anything?

Any help appreciated.

Rick the Librarian
03-15-2013, 05:36
Southfork, welcome to CSP!

The rifle you're interested in appears to be made up of mixed parts - here's what I notice from your description:

1) The receiver probably dates to early 1922 and the barrel is most likely original.

2) If the stock lacks grasping grooves, it is a replacement, probably from World War II. Look at the "small" of the stock (Just aft of the trigger guard) - is is "straight," a full pistol grip or something in between (called a "Scant)? Nearly all of these non-G.G. stocks were made during WWII. The inspection stamp ("cartouche") if present, is usually located on the left side of the stock above the trigger guard. There is usually a "P" in a circle, a square or bare.

3) The bolt dates from the late 1920s or 1930s and is also a replacement. I'm guessing the BP you mention is located just aft of the bolt body on the bolt sleeve. If so, the part was made by Bay Products during WWII. The number etched on the bolt body, indicates it came from another rifle, probably one that was used by the Marines.

Again, I would guess the rifle is a typical mixmaster. If so, it is priced about $200 to $300 over it's worth IMHO.

There is a small possibility the rifle may be a former USMC rifle.

southfork
03-15-2013, 08:00
Thanks, Rick. When I look at it again I'll be able to negotiate better --- as well as see if there is something I've missed.

Calif Steve
03-15-2013, 06:08
Sounds like a Greek return. No idea about USMC use. Good chance it a US Army use. Stock is likely an 03-A3 stock and the proper stock is expensive. The right stock is going to cost $200.00 more(?), or something like that. At $900.00 it is overpriced, likely $650-700 range works. What about the bore? A beat barrel is a deal breaker, so get a cleaning rod and a flashlight. Happy hunting.