PDA

View Full Version : 1911 remington umc

spoonman
03-14-2013, 05:55
I purchased a 1911 remington umc at an auction in Dec. and it was kind of a rat, but I want to make it right, for my own collection. The problem is it needs to be refinished w/o a doubt and the United States Property mark was removed. Everything else appears to be there except the E.E.C. acceptance mark (Edmund E Chapman) there is the eagle head with the E28 just above the mag release button, but no E.E.C. above that.
Now, my question is did every gun have the E.E.C. on it? The gun restoration co. I sent it to refenenced Frank Wilson Blue Book and called me saying guns made by Remington didn't have that mark, only ones made by Colt who did some in same serial numbers.
I guess I'm confused because I don't have any reference material, so I'm counting on the very knowledgeable people of this forum. Serial # is 4847 and I have no pictures. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Bill (william.spooner@comcast.net) :icon_scratch:

Duane Hansen
03-14-2013, 07:03
All of the Rem Umc pistols would have had the E.E.C. inspection markings and the USP markings as well.

You had better tell the folks that are doing the restoration work that they had better get some better reference books such as Charles W. Clawsons books and to throw away the Frank Wilson books.

Scott Gahimer
03-14-2013, 07:26
If they don't know what the markings were, I seriously doubt they know what the original finish looked like either. I'd verify everything before allowing anyone to do the work.

spoonman
03-15-2013, 07:04
Thank-you gentlemen for your response. I believed the same answer you have given about the E.E.C. was on all remington umc 1911 pistols
but it doesn't hurt to check with the experienced and knowledgeable people of this forum. Thank-you again
Best Regards, Bill