PDA

View Full Version : inland six digit need help with grading this carbine

EDDY
03-14-2013, 04:21
I BOUGHT [if you call $14.00 a buy} THIS INLAND FROM THE DCM IN THE EARLY 60'S. the serial# is 37998X, THE RECEIVER AND BARREL IS STAMPED WITH INLAND GENERAL MOTORS, DATED 4-43, A DUPLICATE SERIAL # LOOKS TO BE HAND STAMPED FORWARD OF THE SIGHT, THE ADJUSTABLE SIGHT IS STAMPED J.R. CO, FORWARD STOCK METAL BAND IS STAMPED ARCO, THE MAGAZINE RELEASE HAS AN M, THE STOCK GRIP HAS A Z STAMP AND THE LEFT SIDE OF THE STOCK HAS A SQUARE WITH RIA AND FB IN IT. HOW DO I GRADE THIS ONE AND VALUE IT FOR MY ESTATE. I HAVE ONLY FIRED IT ONLY A FEW TIMES AND IT APPEARS TO BE IN VERY GOOD CONDITION THANK YOU. EDDY

Tuna
03-14-2013, 07:32
The serial number stamped in front of the rear sight was done when the carbine was updated and rebuilt. The new adjustable sight covered the serial number and it was required to restamp the number when being rebuilt. But not a lot of the carbines were restamped as most of the rebuilding armories just didn't do it. Yours seems to have been done at Rock Island Armory and the FB was the inspector at the time. The rest of the parts you mention are from the rebuild. Value depends on condition and seems to vary by region too but in general it would have a value between $650 to $800.

EDDY
03-15-2013, 09:13
Thank you for the information. Do you think the barrel & receiver are original to the 4-43 manufacture date?

Tuna
03-15-2013, 12:55
More like about May 1943 for your serial number and the barrel is most likely original to the carbine.