PDA

View Full Version : More Lousy Weather at Range

Tom
03-12-2013, 09:44
O'K I lied. My two tables: 06, 06, 22 mag, 22-250 (Leopold VX2 3-8x40). Steel gongs at 150, 200, 250, 300 meters. This is my favorite spot because the white dirt kicks-up a "cloud" on the hillside. Can you see the gongs hanging on a tall-steel "T frame" at the first "white hillside"? (At about 11:00 on picture).
Then, more gongs at top-right (1:00 on picture).

I recently bought a used, like new, Ruger single-six, 22 mag and took-it along. The cylinder won't turn when loaded. The bottom of the rounds drag against the frame. I should have checked for cleanliness in the chambers. I did notice a slight "drag" when loading (pushing the bullet-in) but they seemed seated nice and flat.

Please left "click-on" the picture.

Jeff L
03-13-2013, 09:04
A day at the range beats a the office any time.

Tom
03-13-2013, 10:24
A day at the range beats a the office any time.

Thanks Jeff.

Tom

kcw
03-14-2013, 06:03
Tom,
The back end of your 22 Mags should actually be seated BELOW than the rear end of the cylinder by maybe a couple of thousands. My guess would be that somebody may have been firing long rifles, ect. out of it and there's ridge of hard gunk built up. You'll probably need to just run a bronze bore brush through the chambers a few times.

JohnMOhio
03-14-2013, 09:24
Tom, I agree with kcw regarding cleaning out the cylinder and the cartridge being seated properly. I know I have to be careful when shooting my two Colt Frontier Scouts. One is 22 LR and the other is 22 WMR.

Tom
03-15-2013, 09:51
Thanks guys, I cleaned it very thoroughly today (probably the first time ever), and discovered a "rough" factory machining, on both sides of the firing pin area. The bluing had been scratched away by the rounds dragging. I read somewhere that the area could be smoothed (to bare metal) since it was already scratched-up. I fine-sanded the area, down to bare metal. You can probably see the poor machining and low spot ("shame-on-Ruger").

Tom
03-15-2013, 10:54
Tom,
The back end of your 22 Mags should actually be seated BELOW than the rear end of the cylinder by maybe a couple of thousands. My guess would be that somebody may have been firing long rifles, ect. out of it and there's ridge of hard gunk built up. You'll probably need to just run a bronze bore brush through the chambers a few times.

Yes, kcw, the base of cartridge was "not" slightly below the end of cylinder! I forgot to re-check it now that it is clean.