PDA

View Full Version : Correct hardware finish for late (Dec '43) Remington 03-A3?

GI-45
03-11-2013, 01:07
I bought a Remington 03-A3 (S/N 4104829) on Gunbroker, which is currently in transit. It appears to be a CMP Greek rifle (serial number stamped into the stock), but most of the metal is finished in gray, not black. What parts, if any, should I look into replacing if I want it to somewhat resemble the way it looked when it left the factory in December 1943?

Thanks.

Johnny P
03-11-2013, 01:22
The barrel, receiver, and safety will be phosphate finished, and the remainder will be blued. Most of the small parts will be R stamped.

daveboy
03-11-2013, 06:04
Kinda like this if that helps. Chuckindenver did this refinish on my Greek A3, returning it to the finish it would have had when leaving Remington. Chuck did the metal, but I did the finish on the new CMP stock.

daveboy

GI-45
03-11-2013, 06:16
Thanks for the replies. I thought that maybe there would have been more parkerizing of parts by late 1943, but I guess not.

Daveboy, that's a beautiful rifle. Exactly what I have planned: a C-stocked O3-A3. Not "correct" as far as the factory-original configuration would dictate, but attractive & ergonomic nonetheless!

daveboy
03-13-2013, 06:24
The C stocked A3 might not necessarily be "Not correct". That is probably the prevailing view, but with all things that happened that long ago there are probably exceptions to the "norm".

I refer to TM 9-1270, which is the military manual for "Ordnance Maintenance-U.S. Rifles, Cal. .30, M1903, M1903A1, M1903A3 and M1903 A4." The first few paragraphs describe how the rifles were configured. It explains that the 1903A1, "is identical with the Rifle M1903 described in subparagaph a, above, with the exception of the stock assembly. The rifle M1903A1 has a pistold grip type stock whereas the Rifle M1903 has a straight grip type stock." That is pretty straightforward and simple.

When describing the A3, the manual reads, "The stock is similar to that of the Rifle M1903, except that the pistol grip is optional on the M1903A3, whereas the M1903 did not have the pistol grip." Notice the word "optional". That tells me that, indeed, some of these rifles were shipped from the factory with pistol grip stocks. Some will argue this, but they weren't placing the rifles in the crates at the Remington factory 70 years ago.

The military manual, to me anyway, makes it clear that quite a few 03A3s left the factory with pistol-grip stocks.

Just my thoughts,
daveboy

ClaudeH
03-14-2013, 07:51
Please don't take offense if I play Devil's advocate, but maybe they just wanted it understood that an A3 does not become an A1 when it is put in a pistol grip stock?

Mike D
03-16-2013, 05:30
I see what your saying, Dave, but the evidence is not there, that I am aware of.

Where are the C-stocks with all the proofs and inspection stamps?

Mike

Johnny P
03-16-2013, 06:34
Agree with Mike. The option to use the C type stock may have been there, but there is no evidence it was ever used. The 03-A4 did use the C type stock as well as the "scant", but these stocks can be identified by the bolt relief cut.

chuckindenver
03-16-2013, 06:43
the only rifle ever issued with a C stock, would be a 1903A4..
Daveboy, rifle looks pretty dry, try some thin oil or Luberplate grease and an acid brush,
a quick run down on how and why phosphate coatings were used.
zinc, iron and manganese phosphate are not rust, or salt water proof, however.
they soak up and hold oil, and grease very well, and thats what gives them the rust and salt water resistance.
without oil or grease applyed, the metal may actually rust easier, and faster.
iv seen some rifles, that had been greased, and sealed with a beez wax sealer as well.
whats that disco song...grease is the word..

daveboy
03-16-2013, 02:43
I knew those smarter than me would chime in. I am loathe to take anything I read about these rifles as gospel because there are so many different references and as I pointed out, they can be confusing and misleading.

Thanks for the info Chuck. Actually, I took those photos just after I received the rifle from you. I cleaned it up and took the pics, but I do keep a nice coat of grease on it.

daveboy

daveboy
03-19-2013, 05:53
Since we are talking about this very subject, are there any sources for NEW, "correct for 03A3" stocks? A fellow collector asked me this question, and I told him Boyds. But, looking at their website they do not have that stock.

daveboy

John Beard
03-19-2013, 08:39
Since we are talking about this very subject, are there any sources for NEW, "correct for 03A3" stocks? A fellow collector asked me this question, and I told him Boyds. But, looking at their website they do not have that stock.

daveboy

Try DuPage Trading Co. in Arizona.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

daveboy
03-21-2013, 05:55
Dupage don't have 'em and I can't find anyone else who does.