PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Replacement Grips On Old Colt .38 Positive

Hagar
03-09-2013, 11:42
Gang,

I'm digging through my old family guns and am cleaning up my Grandfathers old 6" Colt revolver. It had a cracked left grip where it had apparently been dropped. He carried it when he was a prospector in Death Valley so it's remarkable that it survived at all. He always took very good care of his working weapons and it shows. I ordered a set of replacement grips from Midway and fitted them to the pistol. They are very slightly warped and leave small gaps between the grips and frame. It looks like I can use something to make the inside of the grips perfectly flat but I don't know what that tool should be. Any suggestions from those of you who have fitted replacement grips? The grips are plastic.

I'm keeping the old grips as they give character to the weapon and I won't polish and reblue the pistol. The bore and chambers are bright with prominent lands and grooves.

Thanks in advance!

Hagar

Andouille
03-11-2013, 06:54
Sometimes plastic can be heated in water that is not quite boiling, and bent to shape. Obviously not recomended with original grips, but you might give the replacement ones a try.

Hagar
03-11-2013, 07:22
Andouille,

Thanks, I'll try that. I may be able to get them pliable and then clamp them to the frame and let them cool. Nothing to lose.

Hagar

wiley
03-12-2013, 08:55
You could use a flat surface with 200 grit or higher sand paper to flatten the back of the new grips

Nick Riviezzo
03-12-2013, 02:46
Why not send them back to Midway and ask for a replacement set? Nick

DaveL
03-12-2013, 04:42
Try taping down a sheet of 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper to a piece of glass (or anything with a smooth flat surface). Lay your grips on it and rub until the whole of the surface you are sanding shows new sanding marks all around.
HTH

Hagar
03-12-2013, 05:41
Dave and Wiley,

I'm going to do as you suggest to see if I can eliminate the gaps. I'll go slow and be very careful.

Thanks,

Hagar