PDA

View Full Version : SRS check on reported USMC rifle... and an early RIA '03.

kb466
03-09-2013, 06:52
I own a very nice '03 that I purchased in the early 1980's. It came out of the estate of a retired China Marine who served with the 4th Marines in Shanghai till he retired in 1939. The family said it was his rifle that "he brought home when he retired". I hope that is the case and he didn't pick it up after he retired. Came with sling and bayonet. It is numbered 1009445. It looks to be all original 1918 era manufacture, with no sign of rebuild that I can see. Barrel dated SA 11-18. It is about 85-90% matte blue or smooth dark parkerizing-- don't know which. Wood is very nice, but never sanded. It has a clear circle P proof behind the trigger guard but no cartouche on the side, nor any sign it ever had one. Wood has beautiful old hand-rubbed oil finish, grasping grooves. Perfect bore. No Hatcher hole, no vise marks ahead of front sight base nor stippled butt plate. It does have the USMC front and rear sights, together with the USMC front sight cover. It came to me that way. The sights and cover show every indication they have been on the rifle forever. I'll take pictures of the rifle and post them if people are interested. I would like to know if there is any record of this rifle in the SRS, and if not, what sort of range does this rifle fall into?

The second rifle I am curious about is a RIA #101382. It looks all original, CN 1908 cartouche. Barrel is RIA 11-08. Again about 85-90% original finish-- both blue and casehardening. Stock never sanded. I'm curious if there is any record of this rifle, and if not, what does it look like in its range-- anything special or interesting? Thanks!
Bill M.

John Beard
03-09-2013, 08:07
Neither rifle is an SRS hit.

Your description of the USMC rifle is completely consistent with the story that goes with it. Treat us with pictures!

J.B.

kb466
03-09-2013, 08:19
John,
Really appreciate your taking the time to check. One more question-- are there any other USMC rifles in or near 1009445? I will get the two rifles out tomorrow and try to take some photos. Thanks again!
Bill M.

Emri
03-10-2013, 08:18
Treat us with pictures!

J.B.

Please do !!!

Emri

kb466
03-10-2013, 12:43
Deleted

kb466
03-10-2013, 01:11
OK-- I think this might work. I'm attaching an album of photos of the USMC '03 #1009445. If this works, I'll do the RIA '03 #101382 next. I surely would be interested in hearing any comments. Thanks!
Bill M.

It didn't work-- so now I am just going to add a link to the album. Maybe that will work. Try clicking on the link below--

http://www.jouster.com/forums/album.php?albumid=271

kb466
03-10-2013, 01:33
Here are the photos for the RIA '03 Rifle #101382. Again, click on the link below and it should take you to the album with the photos. Again, comments are welcome and encouraged. Thanks!
Bill M.
http://www.jouster.com/forums/album.php?albumid=272

03Rifleman
03-10-2013, 02:10
Those are superb examples you have there Bill and thanks for the pictures! That RIA looks right as rain to me...how did you come across that jewel? If you don't mind sayin'

kb466
03-10-2013, 03:15
Thanks for the compliments. I picked the RIA up about 18 years ago. It came from a well-known collector and dealer in this area. Interesting that after I purchased it, I picked up a booklet by C.S. Ferris on the Rock Island '03 and was pleased and surprised to see my rifle cited as a "guidepost example" of an original RIA '03 with original barrel.
Bill M.

Those are superb examples you have there Bill and thanks for the pictures! That RIA looks right as rain to me...how did you come across that jewel? If you don't mind sayin'

Allen Humphrey
03-10-2013, 03:36
Beautiful! I notice the RI has the platinum wire inlay on the rear sight.

John Beard
03-10-2013, 05:28
John,
Really appreciate your taking the time to check. One more question-- are there any other USMC rifles in or near 1009445? I will get the two rifles out tomorrow and try to take some photos. Thanks again!
Bill M.

Oooo! That's a nice rifle. You should be justly proud.

I have little doubt that the rifle is a USMC rifle and it was taken out of service before 1939. So, it matches the story that goes with it.

In answer to your question, Yes, there are USMC rifles all around your rifle's serial number. And it's not coincidence. From my data base:

S/N 1009309, S.A./11-42 bbl
S/N 1009338, S.A./8-42 bbl
S/N 1009445, S.A./11-18 bbl - your rifle
S/N 1009818, S.A./7-18 bbl

J.B.

kb466
03-10-2013, 05:59
John,
I really appreciate the assistance and the kind words. I find it interesting that a Marine could take his rifle with him when he retired-- was there a procedure for that? This particular gentleman had served in the Corps for many years-- like 15 to 20 years according to the family; most in China. He retired as an upper ranks enlisted man.

It is also interesting that the rifle has a later barrel than 1009818 on your list. I was told once that the USMC assembled many or most of their rifles in Philadelphia from Springfield-supplied parts. If so, would this explain the out-of-sequence barrels and the lack of a Springfield cartouche, yet the presence of a "circle P" firing proof? I also think it is great that it came with a 1919 dated bayonet and a 1918 dated sling-- both are dated close to when the rifle was probably assembled. Again, thanks for the help!
Bill M.

Oooo! That's a nice rifle. You should be justly proud.

I have little doubt that the rifle is a USMC rifle and it was taken out of service before 1939. So, it matches the story that goes with it.

In answer to your question, Yes, there are USMC rifles all around your rifle's serial number. And it's not coincidence. From my data base:

S/N 1009309, S.A./11-42 bbl
S/N 1009338, S.A./8-42 bbl
S/N 1009445, S.A./11-18 bbl - your rifle
S/N 1009818, S.A./7-18 bbl

J.B.

chuckindenver
03-10-2013, 06:53
very nice....thanks for sharing

John Beard
03-10-2013, 07:30
John,
I really appreciate the assistance and the kind words. I find it interesting that a Marine could take his rifle with him when he retired-- was there a procedure for that? This particular gentleman had served in the Corps for many years-- like 15 to 20 years according to the family; most in China. He retired as an upper ranks enlisted man.

It is also interesting that the rifle has a later barrel than 1009818 on your list. I was told once that the USMC assembled many or most of their rifles in Philadelphia from Springfield-supplied parts. If so, would this explain the out-of-sequence barrels and the lack of a Springfield cartouche, yet the presence of a "circle P" firing proof? I also think it is great that it came with a 1919 dated bayonet and a 1918 dated sling-- both are dated close to when the rifle was probably assembled. Again, thanks for the help!
Bill M.

The only procedure I'm aware of for a Marine to take his service rifle home with him is via duffel-bag requisition.

Your rifle's serial number and barrel date are a reasonable match. I am not aware of any USMC assemblage of rifles from parts at their Philadelphia Ordnance Shop. The presence of an encircled "P" firing proof is an indication that the stock also once had a Springfield Armory inspection stamp. Perhaps the stamp was thin and has been sanded away.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Emri
03-11-2013, 08:28
VERY nice rifles !! Thanks for posting the pics !!

Emri

cfn1803
03-11-2013, 04:38
Marines were issued their M1903 in boot camp and would carry it with them as the transferred from duty station to duty station. From what I have read, until WWII, Marines were allowed to purchase their service rifle from the government upon discharge. Some did, but most did not because of the cost.

Regards,

Clay

pmclaine
03-11-2013, 04:39
I have a feeling Rick the Librarian is shedding tears of envy at the sight of your beautiful Rock Island. If you were to tell him that rifle came from the PI I would hear the effects of the green eyed monster even here in MA.

Thank you for taking the time to show some great rifles.

Jim in Salt Lake
03-11-2013, 04:51
Marines were issued their M1903 in boot camp and would carry it with them as the transferred from duty station to duty station. From what I have read, until WWII, Marines were allowed to purchase their service rifle from the government upon discharge. Some did, but most did not because of the cost.

Regards,

Clay

My Dad, USMC 1944, knew the serial numbers of the 03A3 he had in boot camp, the M1 he had in advanced infantry training, and the M1 he was issued before he shipped out to invade Japan. He'd rattle those numbers off and I wish to high heaven I had written them down!

Calif Steve
03-11-2013, 05:13
Retired in 1939? I think all of the Marines who retired in 1938/41 were recalled to Active Duty. Too bad you don't have a name or service numvber. Might be interesting to try to look him up. I'll bet he saw WWII duty.

kb466
03-11-2013, 07:38
I do have a name but I am not going to publish it as requested by the family. This fellow left the Corps in 1939 after 15-20 years service. When he retired, he left as a high ranking enlisted man. In 1942, he went into the Navy and was commissioned an officer. He served the duration of the war as a stateside instructor. There were other things he saved from his USMC service, but the family was keeping those other things. I remember that his kids told me that he was always proud of his USMC service as a "China Marine". In fact, I remember they said he used to joke that he left China just in time as he was on the verge of going "Asiatic" from having served there so long.
Bill M.

stevekaw
03-12-2013, 03:27
NICE rifles!

ClaudeH
03-12-2013, 07:25
An older friend had a USMC '03 with a similar story. His father was a "China Marine". Apparently some of the posts/assignments involved only a handful of Marines. When time came to muster out in the late '30s, he traveled commercially by boat to the US and by train to, I believe someplace in the Southeast US. I think he was to formally muster out in Baltimore or Philadelphia or somewhere around there. He arrived on a Sunday (?) and was signed out, given his mustering out pay etc., but there was no one there to ask him to return his rifle. So he hopped a train to Chicago and the rifle is still in the family.

His rifle was not as pristine. It bore a sabre cut from an encounter with a rebel in China in which he saved an officer's life. That act of heroism paved the way for his son to have a very smooth road n the Corps.

kb466
03-12-2013, 09:02
Very interesting. I for one would be interested in seeing pictures and/or a more detailed description of this other "China Marine" rifle-- is there any chance you could get access to it to photograph it?
Bill M.

An older friend had a USMC '03 with a similar story. His father was a "China Marine". Apparently some of the posts/assignments involved only a handful of Marines. When time came to muster out in the late '30s, he traveled commercially by boat to the US and by train to, I believe someplace in the Southeast US. I think he was to formally muster out in Baltimore or Philadelphia or somewhere around there. He arrived on a Sunday (?) and was signed out, given his mustering out pay etc., but there was no one there to ask him to return his rifle. So he hopped a train to Chicago and the rifle is still in the family.

His rifle was not as pristine. It bore a sabre cut from an encounter with a rebel in China in which he saved an officer's life. That act of heroism paved the way for his son to have a very smooth road n the Corps.

kb466
03-12-2013, 09:07
Thanks for all the compliments on my two 1903 rifles. It is really appreciated. Since I have apparently mastered the skill of creating albums here and posting photos, and since I am photographing other arms in my collection, I will post photos of three of my M1 Garands (two early SA's and one WRA) and pictures of a very early Inland M1 Carbine tomorrow night-- in their proper categories here of course. Thanks again for the interest!
Bill M.

kb466
03-13-2013, 09:11
For those that are interested, I just posted photos of three of my M1 Garand rifles in the M1 Garand section and photos of my early M1 Carbine in the Carbine section. Thanks.
Bill M.

ClaudeH
03-14-2013, 07:59
Very interesting. I for one would be interested in seeing pictures and/or a more detailed description of this other "China Marine" rifle-- is there any chance you could get access to it to photograph it?
Bill M.

In the summer I see his son regularly at the range. So, in two or three months I'll see if I can photograph it.