PDA

View Full Version : No4 Mk 1 'cosmoline special'

stratocaster
03-09-2013, 04:41
This came out of an estate sale and was imported through Interarms, Alexandria, VA probably in the 90s. The rifle was still pickled in cosomoline and not operational with bolt, trigger, magazine all frozen in place. Lots of time with heat gun and rags to get it cleaned up and running again.

It was likely an issued rifle at some point given the wear. The serial numbers all match but it has a No5 bolt body and a grooved rear handguard. This is a Fazarkerley rifle dated 1/49. So just a mixmaster. The bore looks good so hopefully we have a decent shooter from an otherwise 'nothing special' Enfield. Price was $200.

If you have any other insights on this rifle, please chime in.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/stratocastor/temporary_zpscd2aad05.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/stratocastor/temporary_zpsf6829b7b.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/stratocastor/temporary_zps6080e611.jpg

Art
03-10-2013, 09:23
Your rifle was probably issued and re issued many times in its life. I'm sure its semi retirement will be nice for the rifle and fun for you.

Nice No 4. I actually always liked the stamped adjustable back sights. The last dumping ground for old Lee Enfields was Africa and I figure the last government user of your rifle may have been either a policeman or game warden in sub Saharan Africa.

Cool accessories are still available for these old rifles including slings, oilers, pull throughs and bandoleers if you just shop around a bit.

John Sukey
03-10-2013, 06:04
Just what makes you think it has a No5 bolt handle??? If you are referring to the lightening hole in the knob, lots of No4's had that.

stratocaster
03-10-2013, 06:28
Just what makes you think it has a No5 bolt handle??? If you are referring to the lightening hole in the knob, lots of No4's had that.

My bad, that is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for clarifying!

Hecklerusp45
03-10-2013, 07:17
"Just a mixmaster", lets show some respect to an old battle rifle. :) I have a "mixmaster" or two that are top notch shooters. I think you have a fine looking rifle with plenty of character.

stratocaster
06-02-2013, 07:58
Just an update on the 'cosmoline special'. This rifle is turning out to be a great shooter and one of my favorites to take to the range. I shoot at a club range and during my time there yesterday was really punishing the steel target at 200 yards shooting offhand. I had four different shooters, the usual black rifle guys, come up to me and ask me about my No.4. Always fun to tell its story.

JB White
06-03-2013, 12:36
Keep in mind a lot of these rifles were "mixmastered" in service. Base maintainence oft involved tearing down many rifles and rebuilding from the piles of seperated parts. Parts is parts and good parts is good parts. :) So long as there aren't the usual "kitchen table clues" glaring back at you, you might consider it correct for service life.

stratocaster
06-03-2013, 02:06
Keep in mind a lot of these rifles were "mixmastered" in service. Base maintainence oft involved tearing down many rifles and rebuilding from the piles of seperated parts. Parts is parts and good parts is good parts. :) So long as there aren't the usual "kitchen table clues" glaring back at you, you might consider it correct for service life.

Thanks JB, you are absolutely right. Mixmaster is a term of honor for any issued milsurp rifle in my view. The rear hand guard appears to be the only non matching part and judging from the wear pattern, it has been on the rifle for a good portion of its service life. I would not consider changing it out for the sake of 'correctness'.

rifles4me
07-04-2013, 06:27
Yes, the only time a NO.4 was guaranteed to be correct is when it was leaving the factory of production. That is a very nice rifle, and the wearing Suncorite finish is just more character.

smle-man
07-12-2013, 06:17
Your rifle was probably issued and re issued many times in its life. I'm sure its semi retirement will be nice for the rifle and fun for you.

Nice No 4. I actually always liked the stamped adjustable back sights. The last dumping ground for old Lee Enfields was Africa and I figure the last government user of your rifle may have been either a policeman or game warden in sub Saharan Africa.

Cool accessories are still available for these old rifles including slings, oilers, pull throughs and bandoleers if you just shop around a bit.

A bunch of rifles just like this one were ex-MoD war reserve and imported by Interarms to the U.S. in the 90s. I bought one from Pony Express in Van Nuys CA early 90s with the MoD tags still attached to it which stated "war reserve". Mine looked great on the outside but had a pitted bore near the muzzle so I turned it into a 7.62mm #4.

swede49
07-15-2013, 10:49
Thanks JB, you are absolutely right. Mixmaster is a term of honor for any issued milsurp rifle in my view. The rear hand guard appears to be the only non matching part and judging from the wear pattern, it has been on the rifle for a good portion of its service life. I would not consider changing it out for the sake of 'correctness'.

+1. Good looking rifle. Here are my mixmasters. Both great shooters. :icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut:

S.B.
10-06-2013, 08:23
It's not a British sling on your rifle but, still a very nice rifle.
Steve