PDA

View Full Version : My 1928 1903 NRA Sporter

ridgerunnerras
03-06-2013, 06:37
Hello, I’m Carl and live in NC but originally from California. This is my first post here on this Site.

My Grandfather gave this to me before he pasted in the mid 90's

He bought it from the NRA still with all of the cosmoline on it.

I know that he shot it in competition in the National Guard but that is about it.

I want to know more about this rifle so I have taken a bunch of pictures to share and have you guys help me figure it out.

I believe that it has not be modified at all since he bought it.

it has a star gauge barrel with a S A flaming cannon ball and a date of 12 - 27. According to some sites I have found it was made in 1928..

serial number 1285486

here are my questions

Is this a national match rifle?

Was this made from Springfield Armory this way or was it modify by the NRA?

I had hoped to be able to shoot in some CMP competitions with it but was told that it did not qualify because it is not in the military service configuration.

I am new to any type of shooting competition so I really do not know

Is this true?

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x231/Ridgerunnerras/1903USSpringfieldSN1285486_zps52c7c6ff.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x231/Ridgerunnerras/IMAG0400_zps0e2ad966.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x231/Ridgerunnerras/IMAG0399_zps65a67e83.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x231/Ridgerunnerras/IMAG0398_zpsa345507a.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x231/Ridgerunnerras/IMAG0397_zps3ab2cbed.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x231/Ridgerunnerras/IMAG0395_zpsa2fefc60.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x231/Ridgerunnerras/IMAG0394_zps34bac3d6.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x231/Ridgerunnerras/IMAG0390_zps056e1672.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x231/Ridgerunnerras/IMAG0389_zpsddc034fa.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x231/Ridgerunnerras/IMAG0387_zps99904446.jpg

JohnMOhio
03-06-2013, 06:46
Hi Carl and welcome to Culvers. This is a great way to start a first post. I am sure the experts here will chime in shortly and give you all the info you are seeking. You have a nice rifle there and I am sure you will enjoy shooting it in the future. It looks like it is in exceptional condition.

Best regards and welcome aboard CSP.
John

ridgerunnerras
03-06-2013, 06:52
Thanks,

It wouild also be nice to get the SRS Check for it

Griff Murphey
03-06-2013, 07:37
CMP rules are relatively modern, from the 1990's if I am not mistaken.They were originally set up to allow only the use of "issue" rifles, not match rifles. They do not correlate very well to shooting rules of say the 1930's or 40's.

This rifle of yours is of course quite a bit more valuable than an ordinary shooter '03.

ridgerunnerras
03-06-2013, 08:10
CMP rules are relatively modern, from the 1990's if I am not mistaken.They were originally set up to allow only the use of "issue" rifles, not match rifles. They do not correlate very well to shooting rules of say the 1930's or 40's.

This rifle of yours is of course quite a bit more valuable than an ordinary shooter '03.

Does Mine appear to be a match rifle. What about it makes it more valuable (not that value matters as I would never sell it)

Griff Murphey
03-06-2013, 08:18
Well I am a bottom feeder in the world of 03s... You need Rick the Librarian, Michael Petrov, or John Beard. But I do know that an original NRA sporter would be worth at least $2,000. Reason: few made, fine quality. And you need an SRS check.

By the way you could shoot that rifle across the course in regular NRA bullseye highpower rifle matches. It definitely qualifies as a match rifle.

A lot of officers owned these rifles. There is a famous picture of a crowd of Japanese atop one of the big cannons on Corregidor after our surrender. One Jap is brandishing one of these he had captured.

ridgerunnerras
03-06-2013, 08:19
Thanks.

Johnny P
03-06-2013, 08:22
Your rifle is listed by SRS as a NRA Sporter. It appears to be just as built by Springfield Armory. The NRA is a shooter's organization, and had no facilities for working on rifles. The barrel band is on backwards, as is the front sight blade.

ridgerunnerras
03-06-2013, 08:25
Thanks

Herschel
03-06-2013, 08:40
Springfield Research Service records indicate your rifle was sold on 050930. You can subscribe to the U. S. Martial Arms Collector Magazine and that give you a right to get a copy of the original sales receipt showing the name, date and city of the original buyer. Subscription cost $35 per year and the sales record letter costs $65. Your rifle appears original except for a litle shaping around the pistol grip.. NRA Sporters were sold in that configuration as new item to NRA Members, army officers and were given as trophies at the National Matches in the 1930's and 1929's. Their intended use was for hunting and target shooting. Your rifle is valuable as only about 5,000 were made and most were used for hunting and target shooting thus show wear. Congratulations on owning a fine rifle. From the condition shown in the photos i would say your rifle is worth in excess of $2,000 and maybe as high as $3,000. The only modification is detect is the screw through the front sight that hold the blade in place. The sling is an aftermarket one.

Additional: The NRA Sporters were not military surplus. They were made up as new items on the 1903 receiver. I would imagine that "the cosmoline" that was on the rifle was actually some kind of preservative grease. That rifle was not in military possession since it was sold as a new item on the date I gave above. I strongly encourage you to get the SRS sales letter. I once owned an NRA Sporter from a man that had inherited it from his father. When I got the sales letter showing the original purchaser I asked the man who sold it to me if the name of the original purchaser was familiar. He said it was his uncle. Obviously the uncle bought the rifle and sold it to his brother. This kind of information makes these rifles fascinating to me.

Herschel

Cosine26
03-06-2013, 08:43
The front sight blade is aftermarket and the blade is held in with a screw. As issued the sight blade would have a pin and not a screw.
Hope this helps.

ridgerunnerras
03-06-2013, 08:51
The front sight blade is aftermarket and the blade is held in with a screw. As issued the sight blade would have a pin and not a screw.
Hope this helps.

It may have fell out or my Grandfather was trying different sights as I found several hand made ones in his Shooting box as well as several Stripper clips and a few very old US FMJ rounds

Griff Murphey
03-07-2013, 05:16
Don't shoot that old saltwater primer ammo in your treasure. NOTHING made for the US military before '53-'54 is a good rule. It CAN be used if the bore is scrubbed with hot soapy water, then dried and oiled for three days consecutively but why take the chance?

dave
03-07-2013, 05:51
Does Mine appear to be a match rifle. What about it makes it more valuable (not that value matters as I would never sell it)

I think you are confusing a NM rifle with a Sporter. NM rifles were in original service rifle configuration. Yours is not a NM. While NM rifles were fitted with 'star gauge' barrels many others were also. One author has stated that most any barrel made in the 1930's would have passed the star gauge test.

ridgerunnerras
03-07-2013, 05:58
Don't shoot that old saltwater primer ammo in your treasure. NOTHING made for the US military before '53-'54 is a good rule. It CAN be used if the bore is scrubbed with hot soapy water, then dried and oiled for three days consecutively but why take the chance?

Agree.

I have no plans to shoot that ammo I have had to dispose of alot due to corrosion and split cases. I saved some of the FMJ bullets for nostalgia they are a siver color so I assume they are nickel or somthing.

EriCal
03-07-2013, 07:59
These are wonderful rifles. I paid $5,700 for one about like yours, $2,000 for one that was refinished.

E.

Herschel
03-07-2013, 10:50
Tests from back in the 1920's show accuracy of the NRA Sporters was comparable to that of the 1903 National Match rifles. Photos of rifle matches from the 1920's and 1930's show many identifiable NRA Sporters on the firing line with the 1903's in military configuration.

chuckindenver
03-07-2013, 05:36
though i dont belive that rifle is match legal, {service rifles only} as its been noted, it is a genuine NRA sporter, sold by Springfield through the NRA,
the only issues i see, is that the stock has been altered a bit around the pistol grip, front sight, and the band is on backwards, U is for UP..
should be a fine shooter, and nice gift...
i also noted that the barrel was ordered with a standard 1903 contour, so that a rear sight base could be used..
my sporter came the same way.

Griff Murphey
03-07-2013, 07:15
CMP matches... I agree, not legal.

NRA highpower.... Totally legal match rifle for across the NMC.

Bart
03-08-2013, 01:59
I sold one, in the same condition as yours, for $2000 15years ago. I have regretted it ever since, it is the best rifle I have ever owned.
In my opinion the value would at least doubled in the last fifteen years. You have real treasure ,congratulations and best regards, Bart

Kragrifle
03-08-2013, 07:26
Just a thought-you might want to turn the band around.

Darreld Walton
03-09-2013, 07:37
About the only real difference between the Sporters and a National Match rifle was the stock and stock hardware. "Star Gauged" barrel, tuned trigger and bedding, the Lyman sight, polished and serialized bolt and rails, all attributes of a National Match rifle. Unfortunately, those modifications would give the rifle a "DQ" for the vintage military bolt gun matches, even if it was installed in a GI stock.
Beautiful rifle, and I'm envious! I used a heavily modified M1922 stock, which is pretty much the same piece as the one in the thread, and a very nice barrel and action to build my own, as the cost of an original is beyond my means. I truly enjoy using that rifle!

Jeff L
03-09-2013, 10:24
Nice looking rifle. I was at a gun show years ago and there was a gent walking around with a rifle slung over his shoulder. It looked an aweful lot like an 03 sporter. I regret not asking him about it.

Johnny P
03-09-2013, 12:25
The NRA Sporters came with a heavier barrel than the Service or NM rifles.