PDA

View Full Version : Which "UNIVERSAL" Powders to stock for .223/.308/.45ACP/.30 Carbine reloading?

Col. Colt
03-04-2013, 10:33
Myself and some buddies are talking about getting into (or back into, in some cases!) reloading. Is there a powder, or powders that is most useful in loading more than one of the above cartridges, particularly safely or well for the gas operated AR, M1, M14?

Any crossovers with shotgun/rifle/pistol powders?

We were discussing stocking up with the most versitile components possible, for practice and hunting in lean times - like now. CC

joem
03-05-2013, 05:42
You might be too late to stock up on just about anything for reloading. All components are in short supply (brass, primers, powder and bullets). If you can find some 4895 or 2230 for the AR15. Pistol powders that I use mostly are AA # 2 and bullseye. AA # 9 for some magnum pistols are good for me. Good Luck on finding supplies.

KeithNyst
03-05-2013, 05:47
I've also seen load data for the .308 Win with H4895 and I4895

Tuna
03-05-2013, 06:09
If you are going to load normal rifle loads then the answer is no there is not one powder to load all of the cartridges you listed. Rifle powders for rifles and handgun powders for handguns along with shotgun powders that can be used in handguns. For the carbine H-110 or 2400 would be a good one as it can be used in some revolver loads. Powers like Bullseye or Unique can be used in both pistols and revolvers. Rifle powders for semi autos are best in the mid range burning rate like 4895 to 4060. Just stay away from the slower burning powders like 4350 up for semi autos in general. Bolt actions can use just about any good rifle powder. The first thing you should do is get a new reloading manual and read it from cover to cover. While the basics of reloading are the same, the powders have changed a lot over the years.

Hefights
03-05-2013, 04:27
Myself and some buddies are talking about getting into (or back into, in some cases!) reloading. Is there a powder, or powders that is most useful in loading more than one of the above cartridges, particularly safely or well for the gas operated AR, M1, M14?

Any crossovers with shotgun/rifle/pistol powders?

We were discussing stocking up with the most versitile components possible, for practice and hunting in lean times - like now. CC

Well for those calibers, IMR 4895, Varget and Reloader 15 will work well for .308 as well as .223. Many powders work well in .223, AA 2520 is a good one, and H335, BLC-2, AA 2230, W748.

.45 ACP is good with many, Bullseye, Unique, W231, Titegroup, IMR 700X, Red Dot, and a host of others too.

.30 Carbine goes toward magnum powders, H110, 2400, W296, Blue Dot and others in a similar vein.

MJ1
03-05-2013, 06:54
Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
LE Trained Firearms Instructor

If these are your creds and your just asking the question now it asks who are you collecting this information for????

Simple 4895, 4064 and Bullseye

Matt Anthony
03-06-2013, 02:49
I don't like this post, he should know these things if he is a factory trained armorer!

duke133
03-06-2013, 04:31
When I went through the Beretta LEO armorer school, they never covered anything about reloading. I think the schools believed you're going to use factory ammo for duty purposes and not reloads. At least when I did it back in the early '80's. If he's just getting into reloading like I am, he's probably asking the questions because he doesn't know and was never told in the schools. I'm reading all the responses and posts so I can figure out what components I should use for my reloads once I finish the Lyman book and find everything I need. Please keep posting on what you use. There are some who need the instructions and advice. JMHO.

Hefights
03-06-2013, 05:34
I don't like this post, he should know these things if he is a factory trained armorer!

Well you may not like the post, but there is nothing wrong with answering it, we're not giving him any loads, and he still has the need to acquire a manual, and this IS a reloading forum. I've seen the Col. Colt handle around the forum, I think he may be a good member in long standing, not sure. Meanwhile, I know several avid shooters, at least up until recent months, never reloaded or considered reloading, and only purchased ammo in bulk to support their habit. So while it may seem unikely, perhaps not unheard of. It certainly is logical that now there are bunches of people wanting to get into reloading.

Two of the avid shooters I know, one is now going into reloading, the other is trying to cut a deal to have me reload some stuff for him. I may consider doing that, but if so I may consider video taping the reloading session to ensure "transparency". I could just be "the most transparent reloader in history" (now where did I hear that phrase?).

lyman
03-06-2013, 07:35
4064 or 4895 for rifles,
2400 for carbine,

which ever powder listed above works best for your 45 (I have had good luck with 231)

Col. Colt
03-06-2013, 10:44
Gentlemen, Thanks for your replies, all. If you will check around the Internet, I am indeed a "member in good standing" on quite a number of firearms boards. I am not new to firearms, or reloading - but in calmer times, I could afford - and actually purchase - any powder I needed for a specific cartridge or load, and sometimes more than one, per caliber. (Since my IPSC days, I got out of reloading - but it may be the only way to get some older or obscure calibers of ammo, soon. The less popular, slower moving rounds are simply not going to be produced in a time of crisis, folks.)

Currently, I know of no where here in America where any of us can walk in and buy any powder we want. Thus, if I am going to stock up and purchase quantities when they became available, I was curious if the more experienced loaders, currently, might know of the most versatile powders. We are in a time of shortage, friends.

By the way, I don't quite understand ANY connection between an "Armorer" and "Reloading". An Armorer (not the same as a gunsmith) generally works on Law Enforcement and/or Military Arms. ALL of the general purpose ammo in these two worlds is supplied by the agency/department and reloading of empty cases is a rare occurance, indeed, due to the modern legal/liability concerns of governmental bodies - it is usually FORBIDDEN to use reloads in Department/Agency firearms. I do not currently work for any arm of the Government, but I was a cop at one time, and a Reserve Sheriff's Deputy before that and I know their rules.

Now, if that is not enough comfort to the suspicious minds here, let me give you something more real to concern yourselves with:

Note: For those of you who really just want to be a little Paranoid, or who truely enjoy worrying - An obviously .gov DHS type (way better dressed and younger than the rest of us, standing in the very middle of a crowd of fifty+ partriotic, older Americans) attended our peaceful, local "Day of Resistance" 2nd Amendment Rally, and rotated his cell phone in the middle of to be sure he got good video of everyone's faces a couple of weeks ago. There, now you have something besides me to worry about!

While at my local gun emporium tonight, I looked in one of the NEWEST reloading manuals, and found that the Vitavhori (sp?) N 150 has loads listed for .223, .308 and .30-06 - and bought a pound to try in .223. So this powder seemingly will fulfill the need for a "universal" powder for those calibers. But wait - there is no "gas gun" data specifically called out - port pressure could be way off. Well, back to the books. Please let me know if any of you find better answers - and I will do likewise.

Thanks again, Col. Colt
PS - Relax.

Fred Pillot
03-07-2013, 12:50
There are NO universal powders. Period.

da gimp
03-07-2013, 06:42
At our Pro 2nd Amendment rally in Jeff City , Mo. the county prosecutor was there along with many Mo. State Highway patrolmen.......... all thought the NY laws were insane.......... all belong to the NRA............

Many people there video-taped the rally, along with several TV stations/radio stations....... the private citizens posted their tapes on Utube.........all in support of the 2nd Amendment.......

get the large economy sized roll of HeavyDuty Reynolds brand aluminum foil Col. Colt & use a double layer of it on high quality stainless steel colander........insist on Reynold's wrap..........

to get back to the reloading, Unique, Varget W748, W452AA (shotguns) IMR 4895,imr 4064 all are good to have around ..........

lyman
03-07-2013, 05:40
While at my local gun emporium tonight, I looked in one of the NEWEST reloading manuals, and found that the Vitavhori (sp?) N 150 has loads listed for .223, .308 and .30-06 - and bought a pound to try in .223. So this powder seemingly will fulfill the need for a "universal" powder for those calibers. But wait - there is no "gas gun" data specifically called out - port pressure could be way off. Well, back to the books. Please let me know if any of you find better answers - and I will do likewise.

Thanks again, Col. Colt
PS - Relax.

for the 3 calibers listed, go 4895 or 4064, (boht IMR)
both can be loaded safely for the M1 Garand, and others as well,

psteinmayer
03-07-2013, 07:04
IMR 4064 is great with 150 and 180 grain bullets in 30-06! I also use it for 7.7X58 Jap and lighter bullet loads in 30-40 Krag. The burn rate is well suited to the application!

Matt Anthony
03-09-2013, 03:38
Well you may not like the post, but there is nothing wrong with answering it, we're not giving him any loads, and he still has the need to acquire a manual, and this IS a reloading forum. I've seen the Col. Colt handle around the forum, I think he may be a good member in long standing, not sure. Meanwhile, I know several avid shooters, at least up until recent months, never reloaded or considered reloading, and only purchased ammo in bulk to support their habit. So while it may seem unikely, perhaps not unheard of. It certainly is logical that now there are bunches of people wanting to get into reloading.

Two of the avid shooters I know, one is now going into reloading, the other is trying to cut a deal to have me reload some stuff for him. I may consider doing that, but if so I may consider video taping the reloading session to ensure "transparency". I could just be "the most transparent reloader in history" (now where did I hear that phrase?).

You are correct, nothing wrong with answering the post, but I still don't like it as I assume an armorer would be familiar with reloading regardless of what the school taught him. I should not assume anything and if I offended the original poster, accept my apology!
Matt

Hefights
03-09-2013, 08:03
Like he says, "armorers" are not all familiar with reloading. Most gunsmiths are. I had to think about it but it makes senses. Meanwhile based upon his description I now recognize this as the COL Colt that haunts several forums, so he is "legit" :)

Tuna
03-09-2013, 05:34
Most police department armorers are not going to be using reloads but factory ammo. Out of 39 cities and towns in my area only two of us reloaded for our own use but we both still use factory ammo when needed.