PDA

View Full Version : Found a Rock-ola Carbine. Questions on Some Non-Rockola Parts

southfork
03-02-2013, 09:54
Well, I picked up a nice-looking , round-bolt, 4.5M Rock-ola carbine yesterday at a very good price. Its got a type II barrel band on a nice low wood stock with IO in the slingwell. I don't see any cartouches, but the stock is in what appears to be unmolested condition with very minor dings. I figure that the stock might be Inland? The type 2 barrel band is not a cut down, and it is marked J.M.O. I don't know what that means. Also the front sight is marked J-Q, and the front sight appears to be added later because its finish is a brighter blue and the blue on the Rock-ola barrel. The rear sight is a type 3 sight with a shield and a letter in it on the right side, Since I am kind of new to M1 carbines, I have not yet dissassembled the carbine yet to look for marking on the other parts, but i will. meanwhile i'd appreciate input on the stock, barrel band and both sights.

Oh yes, the carbine has a vintage sling and oiler on it and a tarnished M2 -marked 30-round magazine. The store that sold it said they just took the carbine in, as is, in a trade for an AR.
Thanks for any input on the codes etc above.

Johnny in Texas
03-02-2013, 11:05
Pics will help the metal should be parkerized not blued.

Tuna
03-02-2013, 12:44
Your carbine has been through a typical rebuild like 98% of them have. The front sight was made for Quality Hardware, your stock for Inland, the rear sight is one most often found on Winchesters and you may want to check your barrel band again. As Johnny said the carbine should be parkerized and not blued and bolts were blued and not parkerized.

southfork
03-02-2013, 08:56
Thanks for the replys. When I think of parkerized, I think of a greyish color. The barrels and receivers on my six carbines are not grey but are dark blackish in color. Maybe they are not "blued" but neither are they grey. What does the J.M.O on the type 2 barrel band indicate?

BrianQ
03-03-2013, 07:10
The last letter on the barrel band is a Q not an O. The letters mean J. Mueller for Qualirty Hardware. Yours is a cut down type 3 not a type 2.

southfork
03-03-2013, 02:57
Thanks, Brian, yes, the last letter on the barrel band probably is a "Q". If it is a cut-down band (and I'll accept that it is), they did a really good job of it. There is no shadow on the Rockola barrel, though, such as there would likely be if there had been a bayonet lug on it for a long time.

Johnny in Texas
03-03-2013, 06:20
If it was refinished dark as you say and not handled much it would not necessarily have a shadow. The shadow in most cases is oxidation from handling