PDA

View Full Version : Kahr 1911A1?

Danny
02-28-2013, 04:00
Today while at my local gunshop, I saw a Kahr Arms 1911 A1 and looked at it. It looked ok but I'm not a real 1911 expert. I did a search here but didn't find anything so far. Has anyone here tried one, or have any good info. on them?

Thanks for any help,

Danny

da gimp
02-28-2013, 05:54
Don't know about their 1911A1 models............... but their quality control on their Thompson semi-auto models was chit poor............. from every1 that I talked to that bought one..... & customer service was non existant too......... hope it's changed........... but figuring it hasn't...........

dsk
03-02-2013, 11:37
The old Numrich-owned Auto Ordnance did indeed turn out some pretty sad 1911s, in fact the one I bought back in 1990 was about the worst example of machining and fitting I'd ever seen on a pistol. Since Kahr Arms took over things have steadily been getting better, to where they're now actually pretty decent guns for the price. I still don't think they're nearly as good as a Colt or Springfield, however you're not paying as much either. For a range blaster or base for a custom project they're probably fine. Just be sure to get one of the latest ones with the rounded Colt-style front strap. Up until recently most had a very squarish, blocky front strap that made them feel like a 2x4 in the hand.

da gimp
03-04-2013, 10:15
I wasn't speaking of the AO/Numrich produced firearms,....... they had/have a better rep than any Kahr that I know of...........might look at a Rock Island, one of the new Ithaca's or Remingtons.Les Baer makes daam good ones, Kimbers are a lil pricy & built almost too tight for carry guns, Sigs are decent as are Colts & Brownings...........

Ron James
03-04-2013, 08:42
Don't know for sure, but since Kahr now owns Thompson A/O arms, I bet they are simply having their name roll marked . They are simply trying to get on the 1911 craze.

da gimp
03-07-2013, 01:59
They bought outthe Thompson AO line of firearms company......... quality control is very spotty at best & from what the poor folks that bought one say, their customer service is amongst the worst in the industry.......too bad, so sad.. it ain't our fault........