PDA

View Full Version : Possible M1903A1 Question

thorin6
02-27-2013, 07:30
Tomorrow a friend is bringing by what may be a M1903A1 for my review. This is the information I have so far:
SN is 1349442
Barrel Year is 1930 with SA over the flaming bomb
Has a C Stock (pistol grip)
Bolt has a "3" above the bolt handle
Most likely a Greek Return; B on the floor plate, last four numbers of the SN electro-pencilled on the bolt and stamped on the stock, the letters C and U on the underside of the stock near the grip (both may be remains of a P proof).
H on the bayonet lug (correct for a Springfield M1903)
Still has cosmoline on the stock, stock is in good condition, bore is bright, bolt action is smooth.
The rifle comes from a retired dealer who is liquidating the last of his stock and he's asking $600 for the rifle.
Barring anything surprising, does the price seem reasonable and does this appear to be a legitimate M1903A1?
Thanks for any help.

Rick the Librarian
02-27-2013, 08:11
Assuming the bore isn't toast or there are several parts missing, $600 would be a fair to good deal for this rifle. It would also depend on the general condition. Some Greek M1903s look like they were dragged behind a truck on a gravel road.

Technically, any M1903 with a Type C or Scant stock installed by the military or at an arsenal is an 1903A1. From the fact that the stock has the last four digits of the serial number stamped on it, the wood has been in place since at least the late 1940s. Look in the recess for the cutoff on the stock - is there a "S" [Springfield Armory] or "K" [Keystone]?

If you buy it, make sure to post some pictures.

thorin6
02-28-2013, 07:52
Rick,
Thanks for the comments; I looked at it today and for sure it's a Greek return. It has the Greek repairs to the WWII handguard, along with the B on the floor plate, the 4 digit electro-pencil mark on the bolt (which is Remington), and the 4 digit stamp on the stock. No P proofs. The receiver is purple, the rear sight is not original (looks to be a replacement), the butt plate is smooth, the follower in the white, and the muzzle is about 50% worn (I didn't check headspace). No National Match parts. The only two things going for it is the C stock and the barrel (4-30) appears original for the serial number on the receiver.
I passed on it as I've already got one M1903 project in process and I don't need the parts or the stock which had a serif "K" in the cut-off recess and had several chips out of it; the rear sling swivel slot had been damaged and the sling swivel was not sitting in the slot correctly.