PDA

View Full Version : Just got my A4 scope mounted

daveboy
02-26-2013, 05:07
I just purchased a Weaver 330 scope with mounts and have now installed it on my "new" A4. I know a good bit about 03s in general and have learned a lot about A4s the past few weeks. But, I know nothing about this scope. I have a couple of questions:

1) How do I adjust the windage/elevation? What I mean is, do I loosen the screw and then turn the "ring" under it in the necessary direction and then tighten the screw...locking the adjustment? Or, does the screw just turn and that performs the adjustment? This may be a stupid question to most of you, but before I go turning screws on a 70 year old, delicate, unreplaceable scope I thought I'd better ask.

2) Since the windage adjustment on the mount has been turned all the way to the right, I would like to return the scope back to zero and then use the mount adjustment to get the windage back where it should be. How do I adjust the windage and elevation to the "zero" or "unadjusted" position?

3) I am guessing that I have the wrong rings? I know they are the proper "type," but my safety will not clear...almost, but not quite. Are there different height rings? I didn't think these were repro rings, but am I mistaken?

4) This scope has no s/n stenciled on it. Does that mean it was never a military unit, but strictly a 330 for civilian use. Or, were some 330s not so marked?

Thanks for all your help.
daveboy

lonewoolf
02-26-2013, 06:17
The only help I can give is to your #4. The scope mounted in the photo was strictly a commercial scope. The versions used on military rifles had different adjusters.

Allen Humphrey
02-27-2013, 07:15
1) the center slotted screw head actually makes the adjustment. the outter ring is a "lock nut". Loosen the outter ring just a tad, and make your sight adjustments with the slotted screw then re-tighten the outter ring.

2) since you are at full "right", count the turns until you are full "left" and then return "right" half the turns. Same can be done for elevation. For what it is worth, on my particular rifle the 100yd zero is about 4 minutes up from full mechanical bottom which give plenty of adjustment for 100 and plenty of capacity to elevate to 600+ yds. Mine has no shims but my base and rings are Gibbs reproductions. My scope is a 330s like yours.

3) your rings are right. The safety will not clear, but it will rotate enough to engage. I think I've heard that the Gibbs reproduction rings were made a smidge taller intentionally to allow safety clearance,(which it does). My reproduction rings have very sharp corners at the top ears. I suspect your rings are at least real Redfield. For what it is worth, many folks end up with the scope pushed further forward for correct eye relief, but it depends on the shooter.

4) I'm not qualified to answer, but I think Lonewolf is correct

jgaynor
02-27-2013, 07:38
1. Here is access to the GI manual in a PDF. Just open it and scroll down to the section on adjustments:
http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/generalstorage/tm9270usriflecal30m1903a4/TM9-270_1943.pdf

3. Your rings look OK to me. The A4 was originally designed around the Lyman Alaskan with the w/e turrets located forward of the front ring. The safety lever clears the rear of the eyepiece when so mounted. Ordnance identified the issue with the safety lever hitting the scope tab and made a notation in the manuals to just rotate it until it hit the tube.

4. The 330S was not used on the A4 sniper rifles. The govt. did procure some 330S types (and other weaver variants) for use on optical instruments such as bore sighters for 20mm cannon. Typically in these applications the w & e adjustments were sealed.

Regards,
Jim

Jim in Salt Lake
02-27-2013, 02:45
I have the same scope. For your #2, if your windage is adjusted all the way right, your windage adjustments may also affect elevation. This is because your adjustments are close to the right side of the scope tube. If you center your windage adjustment as Allen described and then zero your rifle with the mount, you won't have that problem. Once I realized that with my scope, and did some adjusting and shimming with my mount, my elevation isn't affected by windage adjustments and windage is pretty much in the center of the adjustment range.

daveboy
02-27-2013, 05:48
Thank you all for your replies. I am very happy to learn that my rings are the proper, GI height. I already had the TM for this scope, but noticed that the adjustments weren't the same as in the TM, because I don't have "exactly" the same model scope.