PDA

View Full Version : Nazi 98 pictures and questions

Hecklerusp45
02-25-2013, 05:35
A friend just got the mauser in the pictures in a pawn shop. He is not on the internet, so I am trying to help him answer some questions. First, what I know about the rifle. It is marked 1939 and 243 on the receiver. I know that means made in Berlin in 1939. The serial number on the receiver matches the barrel, bolt body, firing pin, floor plate, trigger group, barrel band, rear sight, etc, etc. I have looked it over and can't find a number that does not match and it has no import mark to boot. Even the sling looks nazi to me (2 letter code on the metal adjustment thing that I can't remember). The bore looks good so it should shoot OK if he decides to shoot it at all. Now for the down side. The stock is a little rough, mostly at the butt. Also bubba decided to scratch his initials into the stock under the bolt handle. Even with the shape the sock is in, I can just make out a little nazi eagle on the side of the butt. Also the slider on the rear sight is gone and there is no cleaning rod.

So now for the questions. He wants me to help him find the "slider" for the rear sight and a cleaning rod. Anyone know where to find them? Also, he paid around $715 for the rifle. Did he get taken or do OK? Last of all, leave the stock on it or try to find a replacement? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hecklerusp45
02-25-2013, 05:40
more pics of the mauser

Hecklerusp45
02-25-2013, 05:42
last of the pics.

ebeeby
02-25-2013, 07:21
The sling looks right. You're going to need much better pictures for the rest. Lots of K98's are faked with fake stamps, fake numbers, fake re-numbers, etc.
The forum that can really drill down on this rifle (with better photos) is here:

http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php

Calif Steve
02-26-2013, 07:15
Not so sure as the photos are not clear. It may well be a vet bringback. Any import stamps on the barrel? The price is high, I would expect $500.00 tops.

dave
02-26-2013, 08:23
I would say definitly a bring back or maybe an early import (1960's), most of which were m/m. The stock serial should be on bottom behind the grip, altho laminated stocks did not take the stampings too well. Also will be found in barrel channel on both stock & handgaraud. If you change the stock you will knock value down by half! May not have been bubba with the initials, maybe the GI that brought it home? Should be a letter next to Eagle on side- H=army, L=air force, M=Navy.
Those stocks were issued w/o finish of any kind, the present color is due to soldiers perhaps oiling, and dirt, and use over time. I always wash them down with hot soapy water, smooth lightly with fine steel wool and let it go at that. DO NOY use sand paper! The rifle is well used but not abused, blue worn to nothing in allot of places but it is a VERY collectable rifle. Clean the metal up, presrve with a good gun grease and put it back to gether. Less you do the better! The butt plate was originally in the white so don't be afraid to clean rust on that, but not with abrasives which leave scratch marks. Do a Google search for Mauser parts, plenty of sellers offer these parts, there are two different length cleaning rods for these rifles, this one should be a 10", went to 12 in 1940.
I would say the rifle is well worth 700, (would have to see in person) if condition was better it would be much more! Early date fully matched bring backs are VERY expensive. If L or M marked they bring a premium. I happen to have one just like it (year & date) more blue but stock stamps also indistinct.
PS: The only fake stamps I have seen are SS stamps, renumbering was mostly done by German rebuild shops/arsenals. WaA numbers will match the date and inspector lists also! Very difficult to fake a K98k, unlike an M1!

Hecklerusp45
02-28-2013, 07:04
I took the stock off and looked it and the metal over. There are no import marks on the metal at all. Plus, I now know that ALL the metal has matching numbers. The number in the barrel channel of the stock does not match the metal, but under the butt plate there is a 1939 date in purple ink. I take this to mean that the stock is not original to the rifle but is an early Nazi re-stock. I wish the stock had matched but the 1939 date was very cool to find.

dave
02-28-2013, 10:16
Original stock may have been damaged in battle and was replaced by field repair unit. These repair units were housed in vans and were just behind the lines. These units did not worry about matching numbers/renumbering (except maybe in bolt replacement), they had to get them usable in a short time! Never seen one with date in ink, usual practice was a code stamp which indicated maker, date and operator under bull plate.

da gimp
02-28-2013, 10:51
Dave, 98K's may be hard to fake expertly................ but if the average Joe doesn't know enough, even a passable bad one will be enough to get someone to buy it........ e.g Riverbank Armory's faked USGI M1 Carbine parts........ol George of Riverbank has fleeced people for years with this crap..........

Hecklerusp45
02-28-2013, 05:10
Mr. gimp,
Do you think that this 98k has something fake on it?

dave
03-01-2013, 05:49
Nothing I can see w/o looking closer in person! I can give you the correct WaA codes/inspection marks if you wish to double check the serial numbers. They should be 214 maybe some 26 parts as this number was used until 1938. Always a chance of couple different numbers, contract parts you know, then you must depend on serial number font being the same.

These numbers were assigned to indiviual officers who were in charge of the area inspection district. Inspected many war industries in that district. They kept these numbers as long as they had the job and took them with them when transferred to another district. Of course all the inspectors who worked under him used that number also.

dave
03-01-2013, 05:59
Dave, 98K's may be hard to fake expertly................ but if the average Joe doesn't know enough, even a passable bad one will be enough to get someone to buy it........ e.g Riverbank Armory's faked USGI M1 Carbine parts........ol George of Riverbank has fleeced people for years with this crap..........

Of course you are quite right. I have been collecting these since the 50's so I know more then the "average Joe". But unlike then there are plenty of books out on the subject now! A.J. should get educated, but of course if you see something at a good price its sometimes better to act un-educated and take a chance. Couple years ago I saw a long Lee-Enfield in an antique shop, 350 bucks! I knew nothing about these but snapped it up! Year later I sold it for 850 bucks! I could have got stuck too but figured it was worth more then 350.

Hecklerusp45
03-01-2013, 11:43
Nothing I can see w/o looking closer in person! I can give you the correct WaA codes/inspection marks if you wish to double check the serial numbers. They should be 214 maybe some 26 parts as this number was used until 1938. Always a chance of couple different numbers, contract parts you know, then you must depend on serial number font being the same.

These numbers were assigned to indiviual officers who were in charge of the area inspection district. Inspected many war industries in that district. They kept these numbers as long as they had the job and took them with them when transferred to another district. Of course all the inspectors who worked under him used that number also.

I would like to have the codes/marks that you refer to. Thanks for all the help!!

joem
03-01-2013, 01:20
IMHO the price is a little high. On the other hand, the prices I've seem recently on firearms blows my mind.

da gimp
03-02-2013, 08:39
think ya did pretty fair from what I've seen..... congrats sir.

Hecklerusp45
03-03-2013, 02:57
Thank you Mr. gimp, I know its not mint by any standard, but I feel like it is a very cool piece of history.

Sarge
03-08-2013, 11:15
I agree with dave, in that condition, with a mismatched stock, value is around $700. If the stock matched value would jump to $850+.
A correction on his proof marks though. There will probably be a mix of WaA280 u. WaA26 on the rifle. 1939 was a tansition year from 280 to 26. No WaA214.
Sarge

dave
03-09-2013, 06:12
I agree with dave, in that condition, with a mismatched stock, value is around $700. If the stock matched value would jump to $850+.
A correction on his proof marks though. There will probably be a mix of WaA280 u. WaA26 on the rifle. 1939 was a tansition year from 280 to 26. No WaA214.
Sarge

I was looking at the wrong maker. We are discussing Code 243, Mauser Berlin. I looked under Berlin Lubecker, Code 237!
I must have been cross eyed the other day!

dave
03-09-2013, 06:17
I would like to have the codes/marks that you refer to. Thanks for all the help!!

It is too long for me to copy here. I would be glad to send one thru the mail. I can not scan and post either. e-mail me davcath55@gmail.com