PDA

View Full Version : after 38 yrs. follow-up

duke133
02-25-2013, 10:20
I am awaiting my Lyman reloading book and stumbled across a bottle (sealed) of Red Dot powder. Can I use this to reload 38 spl. and 357 mag revolver loads along with 9mm?
thx.

Jim in Salt Lake
02-25-2013, 11:22
I use Red Dot for 9mm. How does it look and smell? I would try it if it still has the nice solvent smell.

duke133
02-25-2013, 11:53
Jim,
Don't know as I have not purchased it yet. Since I need powder (who apparently doesn't these days) for all 3 calibers I thought I'd ask before buying. It's still sealed so I'm not sure the guy would let me open it.
Thx.

joem
02-25-2013, 01:22
It will depend on how it was stored. If kept in a cool, dry space it should be good.

Hefights
02-25-2013, 06:53
Update: Having checked the system, sorry, I was not aware how REALLY scarce powder was. Thus if you can get Red Dot in good condition, get it and you can cover 9mm and .38, and perhaps some 357 mag loads. Blue Dot is also available, and you could get a pound of that for heavier .357 magnum jacketed loads if you like those. The following discussion applies (in my opinion), for when powders are available.

I guess you might be able to use Red Dot in all three, but I would humbly recommend that Red Dot is not best suited for all three. You can use powders like Titegroup, Win 231, Unique, Bullseye, 700X, HP-38 in all three calibers with likely better results, depending upon the bullets you choose. In cast bullet loads in .357, those more "traditional" powders are somewhat more applicable. Unique seems to give good versatility accross those calibers, for what its worth I've used Unique with good results in high powered .44Magnum loads.

In the .357, for jacketed bullets, especially the heavier bullets in higher power loads taking a good crimp, slower burning powders like 2400, H110, Blue Dot, W296 are optimal.

Check out your Lyman Manual, and places like Hodgdon Data Center, http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp and see what appears most applicable for the kind of bullets you want to shoot in the 3 calibers. Not sure one powder fits all 3 optimally, but one can likely be found to work well enough in all 3 with certain bullet types & wt classes.

duke133
02-26-2013, 05:19
Hefights, I guess I'll get the Red Dot and continue searching for something better suited for jhp 357 mag loads. The 38 spl. and 9mm are fmj rounds but I have to check the weight.
Can't wait to get the new book. The last one I had, have no idea where it went, was an RCBS green vinyl 3 ring book I used way back.
The search continues.
Thanks.