PDA

View Full Version : 1st Model Allin Conversion

Luger1914
02-24-2013, 12:58
Since you see so few of these, I would like opinions on what I would describe as a very nice example--with one question mark. Rifle appears to have all proper parts and markings with an excellent stock with deep sharp cartouche. Bore is excellent and breech block has 90% black finish. The owner describes the bright finish showing light cleaning. How much does "light" cleaning affect the collectors interest and value. And lastly--are these really nice Allin conversions really commanding prices in the $4000-$5000 range. Thanks guys. Sorry I don't have pictures. Maybe I will have fewer questions after Dick's book arrives next week.

SMOKEY
02-24-2013, 01:36
Hey Weasel can you help him out?

Dan Shapiro
02-24-2013, 03:27
I would think that "light cleaning" is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen "light cleaning" that looked like someone took a rotary sanding disk to the barrel. On another occasion, "light cleaning" meant that it sat in the back of a closet for 50+ years and the owner wiped it down by pulling it through the hanging clothes before handing it to me.

Pics are a must. Can't point out a price, haven't seen one for sale in quite some time. Note: I've also never seen one that did not have broken parts.

Weasel
02-24-2013, 09:38
To most serious collectors light cleaning or any kind of cleaning is a no no when it comes to these type of arms. When you say light cleaning are you talking about mirror bright or dull bright? It makes a difference and how about the stock? I would say that 4 G's would be high in my book but I think that most antique guns now days are over priced. For that kind of money you can find some really nice Civil War Rifles.

John Sukey
02-24-2013, 10:26
I am assuming that you don't intend to try shooting it. I once had one, and it was .58 RIMFIRE

Dick Hosmer
02-26-2013, 09:20
To me, light cleaning is what you can get off with 000 steel or bronze wool and solvent for the metal, and some lemon oil + elbow grease on turkish toweling for the wood.

Anything much more than that and you are on the slippery slope, where you need to know what you are doing.