PDA

View Full Version : Stamping Questions!

jerrbear
02-21-2013, 03:04
Still playing with my new toy (1898). Just received today the stacking swivel that was missing and an oiler and 3pc cleaning rods all thanks to Mr. DeChristopher. He is such a nice guy. I noticed a W behind the trigger guard and was wondering what that stands for or is it some kind of inspection stamp. Only other stamps on the stock are the 1899 cartouche and the P in script behind the W. Also I assume the correct way of loading the trap door in the butt is to put the oiler in first, knurled cap first and then the cleaning rods. Please advise as I am learning quickly on this site!

psteinmayer
02-21-2013, 06:19
Yes, that's the correct way.

Kragrifle
02-22-2013, 05:21
Cap goes to the rear. Did not think it would fit any other way.

dave
02-22-2013, 06:14
The w is stock inspectors mark, yes. The P final proof and carttouche are the only other stamps put on at factory.

jerrbear
02-22-2013, 10:32
Thanks for the replies! Kragrifle, For some reason if I turn the oiler with cap to the back the rods jam up against it. I will give it another try.

psteinmayer
02-22-2013, 04:11
Cap goes to the rear. Did not think it would fit any other way.

I put my oiler in cap first. That way, when the rifle is stacked or leaning up against a wall for that matter, the oiler is upright. Most of the time, a rifle is handled with the barrel up. I know that my oiler cap seals, but if it didn't, then the oil would leak out...