PDA

View Full Version : Kalifornia Powder/Primer Storage

Hagar
02-21-2013, 11:38
Guys,

Anyone here familiar with Kalifornia-legal powder/primer storage? I can either build or purchase said container.

Many thanks,

Joe "Hagar" Ruzich

joem
02-22-2013, 05:10
I don't know about commiefornia but in MO powder should be stored in a wood lockable container with ( I think) 3/4" construction and primers shoud be stored someplace away from powder.

BudT
02-22-2013, 07:34
Joe,
Contact what ever Fire Department that covers your area most probably the local Station would have you call the Fire Prevention Officer and ask them what storage codes are for said materials. I dont live there and left over 6 years ago so things could have changed a lot in that amount of time. I hesitate to tell you what it "might" be or what it was. I kept my powder in a wood box and not more than 20 pounds of itand primers in another wood box in a seperate area. As you alreay know primers are a explosive and powder burns at a controled rate.......except black powder and it's a totaly different thing. By the way I am retired CDF. I'm pretty sure that a FPO will quote NFPA standards for storage and limits. HTH
BudT

JohnF
02-22-2013, 07:39
Storage requirements depend on how much you plan to store. If you are talking about 20 pounds or less then any 1" thick wood cabinet or box would do. Check out the attached PDF file put out by SAAMI for storage requirements. Your local FD guy would probably refer this to you as the guideline.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

dogtag
02-24-2013, 05:53
Use your common sense.
Don't store powder on top of a wood burning stove.

Hagar
02-25-2013, 11:47
DT,

Good advice. I moved it from the wood burning stove to my arc-welding table :-)

Hagar

blu 97
02-25-2013, 06:54
I use an old 50 qt Coleman cooler.

dogtag
02-25-2013, 07:23
DT,

Good advice. I moved it from the wood burning stove to my arc-welding table :-)

Hagar

Good. You've got a sense of humour. Sadly lacking around here.

Chris W.
02-25-2013, 07:46
Besides the container issue, think there is also a limit to what can be stored at a private home. I know of someone who got in big trouble storing about 150 lbs at CA home, not for what the powder was stored in, but for quanity. Local PD acted like they had busted the unabomber or something. This person did com. reloading on a dillon 650, that quanity would have been used in a month ?? Wonder if there is a CA or federal limit and what that might be ??
Chris

Matt Anthony
02-26-2013, 03:02
Besides the container issue, think there is also a limit to what can be stored at a private home. I know of someone who got in big trouble storing about 150 lbs at CA home, not for what the powder was stored in, but for quanity. Local PD acted like they had busted the unabomber or something. This person did com. reloading on a dillon 650, that quanity would have been used in a month ?? Wonder if there is a CA or federal limit and what that might be ??
Chris

I would be wondering who turned him in to the authorities and why! I would look online for information as asking local officials just tells them you have powder and primers which is none of their business.
Matt

Chris W.
02-27-2013, 10:56
Never got the answer to the quanity thing. Could be Homeland Security feds as well, some county reg as well. Reguardless, local pd used the powder for "training". Tails of the unlikely. Sure glad I checked out of that place. Still, might be a good question on the fed level for those of us in other states. Think a house hold propane tank or a set of welding tanks would hold much more of a hazzard.
Chris

dogtag
02-28-2013, 12:32
Grizzly old mountain man type who I knew when I used to go
to rendezvous told me that the black powder limit in California
was 1 can. This of course was ignored by everybody there.
If you shoot a flintlock you'd need a can of 4F for priming
as well as the regular 2F. That would make flintlock shooters
criminals.
The best price is when you buy in quantity, so store as much
as you want. Store it safely and keep your mouth shut.

dogtag
02-28-2013, 12:38
Incidentally, Shipments of qty BP to me have not been a problem.
I buy in quantity and split it with friends at my club.

swede49
03-04-2013, 10:41
I would be wondering who turned him in to the authorities and why! I would look online for information as asking local officials just tells them you have powder and primers which is none of their business.
Matt

:1948::1948::1948:Right you are...can't hardly tell anybody you have firearms or anything related. Who's your friend nowadays?:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: