PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Krag

bandit1978
02-20-2013, 06:36
I have a chance at a Krag SN 266584. It is carbine length but I'd guess it is cut down. Other than a scope base drilled into the side of the receiver, it seems original. It is $250. I fiqured it was worth it just to have a Krag. Anybody offer any information?

ebeeby
02-20-2013, 08:33
THe Krag rifle is a delight to shoot and in the case of the 1896 I have, a tack driver. Why not hold out for a rifle rather than a cut-down?

Dick Hosmer
02-20-2013, 10:13
I do not see that anything is gained by buying a cut-down, and, the scope holes are the kiss of death for ever reselling it when you come to hate it, as you will. There is a reason why it is so cheap! Save your money until you can afford a nice rifle in the $800-$900 range. You will much happier in the end, I promise you. You will have something to be proud of.

IditarodJoe
02-21-2013, 03:47
Welcome to the forum, bandit1978.

Somewhere there's a "right" owner for every rifle and you'll have to decide whether this one will bring you $250 worth of pleasure. I personally agree with Dick. The novelty of owning a cut down Krag with a drilled receiver would wear off pretty quickly for me.

I know that Mr. Hosmer has owned some extremely nice rifles in his time and I expect that both his standards and his means exceed those of some of us here, but I'd recommend continuing to save until you can get a full-length rifle with an intact receiver and a good bore. In the meanwhile, use the time to learn more about these historic firearms and continue to shop - not necessarily to find that perfect deal but rather to learn the market.

That's my .02. Best of luck to you.

bandit1978
02-21-2013, 04:52
Thanks for the input. I am going to take your advice...

Dick Hosmer
02-21-2013, 05:59
Thanks IJ, but you, and a lot of other people, might be surprised. Standards possibly, especially as to authenticity/originality, but means (I've never been able to afford truly high-grade guns) no. I do not have a formal degree, and my peak annual salary, were I to reveal it, would be laughed at by many.

Luck has played a huge part over the years, but I attribute a lot of whatever success may have been achieved to an ironclad focus, and voracious study. There were very few purchases where I did not know a good deal more about the gun than the seller. Also, note that I started a long time ago - prices have risen greatly.

jon_norstog
02-21-2013, 07:08
Bandit,

I'm going to take a contrary position here. A bit. I agree about the holes, they would be a deal-breaker for me. But I think a cutdown rifle makes a pretty decent hunting rifle. And at the prices carbines are getting these days, why take one into the woods? The trick is finidng a cutdown with a decent barrel and good sights. I am partial to the Pacific aperature sight that mounts in the magazine cutoff slot.

At the same time, I think I might look around for a decent long rifle. If I find one, fine, if not, that's OK too. Same goes for that 1884 Trapdoor. Dick says that's the one to get if you're looking for a shooter.

jn

gnoahhh
02-21-2013, 09:47
From a collectors standpoint, the fact that it's a cut down and d/t'ed is a deal breaker- I agree. But, such guns definitely have their place in the overall scheme of things. If it has a good bore and not 'ugli-fied' any more than having been cut down, it would make a dandy hunting rifle- one that I wouldn't cringe and go running for the truck with if it started to rain. Accidentally dropping it or scraping it on barbed wire wouldn't have me gnashing my teeth either. Remember too that because so many sustained 'damage' at the hands of Bubba over the years, the nice original ones we have in our collections have serious value.

Kragrifle
02-22-2013, 05:24
As much as I hate to see it, Krags have dropped off in price lately (notice I did not say value). I just saw a beautiful 1902 dated rfile sell for $750! Forget the cut down, buy a nice Krag and you will never regret it. May even increase in value if Mr. Obama ever goes away.

psteinmayer
02-22-2013, 04:05
My first Krag was purchased in a pawn shop in Mississippi (I was stationed there at the time) for $175. It was a sporterized cutdown 1898 (at the time, I thought it was a true carbine... but I didn't know anything back then) and I purchased it because I knew about my dads 1898 rifle. I absolutely LOVED that sporter, and I took every opportunity to go shooting. A few years later, dad gave me the 1898 rifle... and my sporter has taken up residence as a safe queen. I still love it, and do still shoot it occasionally, but it's no true rifle. If I was still hunting, I would use the sporter... but for shooting paper at the range, my money goes to the 1898 rifle every day and twice on sunday!!! I absolutely love shooting in the CMP National Matches, and I plan to shoot in some other matches this year too.

Just my two cents worth!
Paul

Mike D
02-23-2013, 04:51
I'll disagree with those that say save your money. If your like me, it is a lot easier to spend $250 than to save $900. I recommend to anyone buying their first type of milsurp to start with a CHEAP one. You CAN NOT go wrong with a $250 shooter. You will learn about it and be more familiar with it. And learn what to look for when you do want to spend close to a grand on an original rifle.

What if you save a grand and end up spending it on a gun that is really worth $500? That is not possible with a $250 shooter. Buy the shooter and some books. Educate yourself first.

Mike

Rick the Librarian
02-27-2013, 06:21
I admit the Krag was the ONLY firearm I "practiced what I preached" - i.e. learned about the rifle, asked questions, etc., before purchasing one (I now have five)

I would spend $250 on a rifle ONLY if there was a reasonable chance of saving $650-900 for a better model. My thought would be to enlist the help of some "Kraggies" and see if you can find something more in the $600 range as a "first rifle". They are out there with some careful looking.

SgtSki
02-28-2013, 01:25
I'm thinking about a Krag cut down myself for the only reason that is has a low serial number 10516 but it needs everything. So I am fence sitting and studying. What say you guys?

Dick Hosmer
02-28-2013, 04:13
For my part, I really do not see a low number as being of any added value/significance on a cutdown, so, if you are looking for a shooter, I'd look for an 1898, which has some improved parts, and, hopefully, a bit less wear. Besides, if seller has priced the piece higher because of the number, you will be paying an extra premium for nothing in return. Check out www.gunbroker.com there are always plenty of cut-off Krags to choose from.