PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell this ammo?

Hecklerusp45
02-20-2013, 08:28
I have several hundred rounds of 30-06 ammo that I picked up a long while back just because I could get it at a very low price ($.25 a round I think). It was made in Korea in the mid-1970s for the military (half of it is in 20 rd. boxes and half in Garand clips in bandoleers). It has the PS head stamp and is therefore non-corrosive and does not come from any of the batch numbers with reported problems. I noticed the other day on gunbroker some of the same stuff selling for $1 or $1.20 per round and was blown away. This made it very tempting for me to sell what I had, wait for prices to come down, and use the cash to buy 30-06 components. This way I would get rid of low quality Korean ammo and replace it with good quality reloads. My only worry is that if price does not come back down as much as I think it will, I could end up losing money per round. Any thoughts? Should I keep the Korean or sell it for reloading money?

John Sukey
02-20-2013, 10:54
And you can't reload your Korean ammo?
An old proverb, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

George in NH
02-20-2013, 11:13
Sir,
Your post raises various questions, such as, what is the purpose of the ammo, informal plinking, informal target shooting, formal target shooting or some such? Checking around here, NH, bullet, powder and primer per reload (not counting the brass) runs .52-.54 cents per round. That's IF you can find the components! Yes, reloading will or should result in tighter groups across the board. Having not fired PS .30 at 200 on the SR target, I cannot comment on its performance. However, having fired almost uncounted rounds of US and Greek Ball at 200 on the SR target, with a known accurate rifle, all rounds would be well inside the ten ring and most touching the "X" ring.
HTH, George in NH

joem
02-20-2013, 12:21
If you sell it's gone for good. If you can't find components you got nothing to reload.

dave
02-20-2013, 12:59
Are you sure its "selling" for that or just asking prices. Gun show week age I saw lots of hi-priced ammo, some from US arsenals, canned M1 bandoleers. Did not seem to be much interest, did not see anyone lugging any out. It will take awhile but I think prices will come down. If you shoot it scrap the brass, lower your cost some more.