PDA

View Full Version : Seller and Bellot Primers

cdl2279
02-18-2013, 03:37
Guys,
Im very new to this so please forgive me if this question has been asked or if the above primers are junk.
It seems with all the fanfare in my area primers are getting scarce. I was able to buy a few LP Seller and Bellot primers for my 45. I have read some things about them being hard. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with them. Do they work ok or should I stay away from them ? This would be for the kids and I at the range. I have enough WLP primers for my bullseye league.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

joem
02-19-2013, 10:02
Not sure on S&B primers but I tried Wolf primers and they worked OK. Seems as though the vel droped a bit.

dogtag
02-20-2013, 06:26
Sellior & Bellot makes a lot of ammunition.
I cannot even imagine that their primers would be junk.
If you use pistol primers in pistol ammo and rifle primers in rifle ammo
you won't have a problem.
The "hardness" differs because of the difference in hammer strike.

Matt Anthony
02-21-2013, 03:09
Guys,
Im very new to this so please forgive me if this question has been asked or if the above primers are junk.
It seems with all the fanfare in my area primers are getting scarce. I was able to buy a few LP Seller and Bellot primers for my 45. I have read some things about them being hard. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with them. Do they work ok or should I stay away from them ? This would be for the kids and I at the range. I have enough WLP primers for my bullseye league.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Buy whatever you can, and don't look back, you are lucky to find even one box of primers!

S&B Industries have made literally billions upon billions upon billions of ammunition throughout their existance. When I started seeing S&B 45acp cases at the range years and years ago I didn't think anything about them and picked them up along with the rest of the brands! However, upon trying to reload these cases I noticed that the primer pockets on many were extremely tight and the brass seemed too soft when sizing and expanding the mouth of the case. I quit trying to reload S&B and simply gave them to my friends.

Now that was years ago and recently my daughter bought 2 boxes of 380 acp for her CC Ruger. It shot well, no non-fires and was lower priced than Remington or Winchester. They don't make junk and they don't use junk to make their cartridges, buy them!!!!!!
Matt

DaveL
02-21-2013, 05:36
I agree about S&B brass being no good for reloading even today. I don't try to reload it anymore. Some is soft and some is hard making sizing a hit or miss proposition. Primer pockets, some to large some to small. Flash holes, lots of burs and inconsistent flash hole sizes. If their primers (which I haven't tried and don't plan to) are anything like their brass I'd stay away. JMHO.

Tuna
02-21-2013, 06:39
S&B primer pockets on many of their rifle cases are too shallow also. It's a pain in the neck to have to cut the pocket deeper on them. Winchester has S&B load quite a few of the metric and some standard rifle rounds for them. The last batch of small rifle primers I bought that are Winchester look to be more like S&B made primers and that would not surprise me as it seems more and more of Winchester production is from overseas. I have not used any of these small rifle primers as of yet so I will not pass judgment on them till I do but brass wise I much prefer Priv over S&B.

da gimp
02-21-2013, 07:01
I use some of their ammo in German drillings in uncommon calibres/chamberings, never had any problem with them yet.........but Tuna's post has me feeling a lil goosey now...........

dogtag
02-21-2013, 05:51
I reload S&B amongst other cases for my 303 Lee Enfield. Been doing it for years
and have not had any problems.
If their brass is too soft and their primer pockets not deep enough
then how have they managed to stay in business for all these years ?

Tuna
02-21-2013, 06:51
Have you tried to reload their 7.62x54 lately? I have and the Winchester version too. They suck as far as the primer pockets but I will say the brass over all is a good quality. I have quite a few reloads out of their 7.62 brass. But again the primer pockets are too shallow.I have not tried their 303 as of yet but I did try their .243 Winchester cases and they too have shallow pockets.

Jim in Salt Lake
02-22-2013, 12:33
I've used a couple thousand S&B small rifle primers and they all went bang. If I saw them on the shelf without a completely ridiculous price, I'd buy them again.

dogtag
02-23-2013, 11:55
Have you tried to reload their 7.62x54 lately? I have and the Winchester version too. They suck as far as the primer pockets but I will say the brass over all is a good quality. I have quite a few reloads out of their 7.62 brass. But again the primer pockets are too shallow.I have not tried their 303 as of yet but I did try their .243 Winchester cases and they too have shallow pockets.

You must get one hell of a lot of pierced primers.
As for the Moisin rounds, yes I've reloaded a few. Not many because
I'm not a fan of Moisins, but the few I've loaded gave no problems.
I'm looking at some loaded rounds right now - none of the primers are standing proud.