PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my new A4

daveboy
02-17-2013, 04:50
Well, I promised photos and here they are. I just purchased this and will get around to cleaning it up soon, but wanted to get these pics posted. All parts appear to me to be Remington. I did clean the bore and it is a pristene 2-groove.

I now begin my quest to learn all I can about A4s (I do everything backwards). Would both the M73 and M84 scope be "correct" for this rifle? My pockets aren't deep enough for the "real" scope, but will probably put a repo on it. Any suggestions? Also, where does one get rings without taking out a second mortgate?

Am I correct in assuming that the original stocks were scant stocks? If so, I guess this one was installed at depot.

Were the A4s made any differently that the A3s? Were tolerances kept closer to increase accuracy, or were they basically A3s with changes made to allow scope mounting?

I hope you like the photos. I will post more later, it appears that most of my pics files are too large to post here, so I will have to edit. But, these will give you some idea. It appears to me that it probably hasn't been used since arsenal. Previous owner had it for 20 years or so and just fired it for the first time.

Thanks for any answers/comments.

daveboy

tmark
02-17-2013, 08:34
I believe the Weaver 330 C scope was used on some A4s, too.

Randy A
02-17-2013, 09:03
The weaver 330/m73B1 was used on the vast majority of them during original production. The 81, 82 and 84 were installed mostly as replacements as needed, most of which showed up on them late WW2? or Korean War. Take special note of the words "majority" and "mostly", I'm sure there were exceptions at times. There were SOP's mandating the use of 330's and m73B1's, and authorization of the m81, m82 and m84 only when the previous were exhausted. Maybe JB or others may have a doccumented case, but I'm not aware of any that came "new" with the 81,82 or 84.

George in NH
02-21-2013, 11:39
If you are going to shoot in the Vintage Sniper Tournaments, an idea would be to review the current CMP rule book chapter that describes equipment allowances for rifle/scope combinations. No need to go broke if you just want to shoot. If you are after original or "repro" rings/scopes that would be a different direction. For "using" rings, try the Leopold. If not using a "one inch" body scope, you will need "ring reducers" (one inch to 7/8's or one inch to 3/4) from Brownell's. HTH, George in NH

daveboy
02-21-2013, 05:38
Thanks for the info folks. I've been reading all I can about the A4 the past few days. I just bought a 330 scope and original rings. They are in the mail. I got a better deal on "real" scope and rings than I had planned on. I hope to start cleaning her up soon, mounting that scope and sending some M2 downrange.

daveboy

jgaynor
02-27-2013, 11:51
Well, I promised photos and here they are. I just purchased this and will get around to cleaning it up soon, but wanted to get these pics posted. All parts appear to me to be Remington. I did clean the bore and it is a pristene 2-groove.

I now begin my quest to learn all I can about A4s (I do everything backwards). Would both the M73 and M84 scope be "correct" for this rifle? My pockets aren't deep enough for the "real" scope, but will probably put a repo on it. Any suggestions? Also, where does one get rings without taking out a second mortgate?

Am I correct in assuming that the original stocks were scant stocks? If so, I guess this one was installed at depot.

Were the A4s made any differently that the A3s? Were tolerances kept closer to increase accuracy, or were they basically A3s with changes made to allow scope mounting?

I hope you like the photos. I will post more later, it appears that most of my pics files are too large to post here, so I will have to edit. But, these will give you some idea. It appears to me that it probably hasn't been used since arsenal. Previous owner had it for 20 years or so and just fired it for the first time.

Thanks for any answers/comments.

daveboy

Dave,
The main designated scope for the A4 is the M73B1 (some commercial variants the 330C and the "330 Scope - M.8" were used on early production. Several thousand commercial scopes were electropencil marked with Milittary nomenclature and serial numbers at the Weaver plant in El Paso.
Later when Weaver got actual M73B1 production rolling the nomenclature was roll stamped on the data plate. All of the serial numbers were electo-penciled however. A few other minor changes were made such as in the style of adjustment knobs. All the sniper scopes were issued with "click' adjustments but later models had a a small resettable scale secured with a tiny set screw so the individual could reset the zero on his rifle.
Early on it was intended that the Lyman Alaskan (M73) would also be used on the A4 starting in Sept 43 and totally replacing the M73B1 By December of 43. There was even a third order placed for an additional 24568 A4 Rifles (in addition to the 28365 requested in the first two orders) in anticipation of the Lyman deliveries. Unfortunately Lyman was unable to fulfill any M73 orders until Much later when the M1C started to be available. By that time however WW2 was all but over. Some 2000 sets of 7/8" Redfield style rings were delivered in anticipation of the Lyman M73's being available for the A4.

In the Mid 50's an order was issued authorizing the use of any M73, M81 or M82 scope on an "exhaust stocks" basis if the primary scope (M73B1) or preferred alternative scope (M84) were unavailable). The same order also cites a part number for a mounting kit. Undoubtedl the mounting kit would have contained the horizontally split rings which must be used with the M84 and certainly can be used be used with the Alaskan variants as the tubes are the same diameter.

As to stocks the specifications called for a a full pistol grip M1903A1 ("C") stock. I believe as many as the first 7000 stocks came directly from Springfield Armory. Later manufacture by contractor's like Keystorne included a mix of the Full and scant grip variations permitted under the M1903A1 spec (depending on how much wood was in the blank).

AS to differences to the A3.
1. A4 barrels were selected and gauged for uniformity after the final ream process.
2. The receiver is notched under the bolt handle to provide clearance.
3. The receiver markings are off-set and the serial number is a smaller font.
4. The iron sights are omitted.

Hope this helps. Let su know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Jim

daveboy
02-27-2013, 05:51
Thanks for all the help. I am learning a lot about this rifle/scope combo.

daveboy

winetoad
03-02-2013, 06:56
Just curious about the missing front sight on the A4, is the barrel still grooved for a front sight?

ggordon
03-03-2013, 07:22
Yes-- A4's still have the machined groove for the front sight. A3's with the front sight removed will show a lack of parkerizing in the groove. A4 grooves will be parked.

Tom in N.J.
03-03-2013, 09:13
I believe the only difference between the receivers on M1903A3s and M1903A4s is the location of the markings, the holes drilled and tapped for the scope base, and a very tiny bolt clearence cut. All M1903A4s were marked "03-A3" at the factory. Some were latter field altered to read "A4". The stock also has a clearence cut for the bent bolt