PDA

View Full Version : Odd Numbering on this specimen

Brantman
02-17-2013, 02:15
A couple years back I bought a nice clean Ty 99 at auction. It is what must be a Long Arisaka.
I've been fond of Arisaka's for years, but had only heard of these. The machining and finish can only be called smooth and bright. It still showed some cosmoline type grease on internal areas and did not look as if it had been fired very much...if at all. I know some of the earlier rifles had superb machining, especially in the lower series serial numbers. This one appears to be Series 35 from TOYO KOGYO, however all descriptions of 34 and 35 I've seen are rough, welded, missing this and that, wooden butt, i.e., Last Ditch. This gun is beautiful, has aircraft sights, mumed safety, protected front sights, good stock, steel butt plate. The only problem is that some jerk cut the stock just ahead of the monopod band. Oh, yeah. It is serial Nr 131 everywhere EXCEPT the receiver, which has 1035 where it ought to be and underneath it ALSO has 131 on both the barrel and receiver where they meet. I guess 1035 parts failed so the piece was finished with #131..parts, including the stock. The barrel is 31.5 inches long from the pressure hole. The hand guard is over a foot long, whereas my other "0" series SN 70021 Nagoya is 26 inches muzzle to hole and hand guard is only 6.5 inches long. Both guns are beautiful examples of machining, with the TOYO KOGYO being the finest. Any comments on either?

Brantman

Deano41
02-17-2013, 08:16
Reading on page 18 of "The Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifle", Toyo Kogyo Type 99 long rifles, series 35, were made up to serial number 30,000 from June of 1940 to March 1941. (Series 35 was continued with short rifles in Jan. 1945). They are matched by assembly number, which in your case is 131. The serial number is independant of the assembly number. So you have a matched rifle.

Is the forestock just "duffle-cut" but the front band is still present? If so, the stock can be dowelled and glued.

psteinmayer
02-18-2013, 11:31
My Toyo Kogyo Series 31 was duffle cut. There is a thread in this forum where I detailed my repairs... Dean and a few others were a great help too! Please take a look at how I repaired my stock. Worked out great!!!

Paul

Brantman
02-19-2013, 05:27
I don't think this was a duffle cut. The "nose" of the butt stock was rounded out to give it a better appearance and the rod hole plugged. Unfortunately, the balance of the stock from in front of the monopod band is missing, so there is no bayonet lug. I've never seen a "full stock" for a Long Arisaka. I'd like to return it to original appearance if I ever run across a suitable piece of wood with front band. Junker stocks can cost as much as a complete rifle in this area (Georgia).

As a kid, I can remember back in the early 50's when it was not uncommon to find a complete rifle in someone's trash. Imagine that today!!