PDA

View Full Version : Remington Sportsman "Property of US Navy"

Jscott
02-17-2013, 09:03
I have an old Remington shotgun that I've had for 35 years that I like to know the value of. Serial #4697nn made July 1942 The receiver & barrel are marked "Property of US Navy" the stocks are very plain in matte or dull finish receiver has the bird scene NOT Military finish, which I think is odd, barrel has factory Cutts compensator and there is NO "Bomb" stamping....oh and the firing mech is stamped "The Sportsman" seems like an odd one, can any body help?

smondus@gmail.com
thanks for your help

dave
02-17-2013, 10:38
Many guns purchased by the military during the war, in limited numbers, had "non-military" (blue instead of parked), and were purchased 'off the self'. Most probably did not have the bomb either. If re-built they were usually parked.

scosgt
02-17-2013, 03:07
If there is no choke marking on the barrel the Cutts is original. It is a gunnery training shotgun.
I have seen a few of the "Navy" marked guns. Without seeing the markings I can not say if it is real. But if it is, anything with Navy markings is very sought after.

da gimp
02-17-2013, 06:38
If there is no choke marking on the barrel the Cutts is original. It is a gunnery training shotgun.
I have seen a few of the "Navy" marked guns. Without seeing the markings I can not say if it is real. But if it is, anything with Navy markings is very sought after.

ditto

Jscott
02-18-2013, 07:37
So I'm Sure the markings are real I've had it for 35 years Receiver and Barrel numbers match and NO choke marks on Cutts, The NO bomb confused me along with the Bird scene on receiver. But I have confirmed it is a July 1942 build. So what is the value and where is the best place to find a collector of a gun like this... I assume it is a specific collector group this item attracts?

Tom Doniphon
02-18-2013, 10:46
The blued receiver with game scene is correct for that serial number range. But the wood is often checkered in that range.

Look for a choke mark on the barrel near the receiver (not on the Cutts). If it's a factory installed Cutts, there won't be a choke mark on the barrel.

scosgt
02-18-2013, 11:29
The number of years you have owned something has NOTHING to do with whether the markings are real. I can assure you that back in 1978 the fakers were out there. If you had Navy release papers, THAT would be proof.
No one can estimate a value without seeing the gun. Post some good pictures.

Jscott
02-18-2013, 12:42
So lets assume its real, (forgot to mention I got it from my Grandfather 35 years ago) There is NO choke marks, What is the range of what it is worth? I'll post some pics tonight...

scosgt
02-18-2013, 09:18
Can not guess value without pictures.
Three shot Rem 11 long barrel has to be absolutely mint to be worth any kind of real money.
But the Navy markings, if real, are very desirable.
Post pictures or stop asking.

da gimp
02-19-2013, 03:02
A USGI issued shotgun with proper providence & markings in the correct serial # range is very collectible.... but as posted above there are fakers on ANY collectible firearm...........

As stated above......... we need pics of the area on the barrel on BOTH sides near where it joins the receiver (generally where choke is found, either marked full, mod, cyl or improved modified or imp cyl or with an asterisk * or series of asterisks *** e.g..............& of the serial #'s & US Navy markings.....

Please post pics of entire shotgun, , any proofs or markings on the metal & wood.............closeups necessary...........

Doug Douglass
02-22-2013, 04:45
The table next to me at the last SMGCA show in Knoxville had a civilian Model 11 receiver with a PROPERTY US NAVY riot barrel.

da gimp
02-22-2013, 08:58
The table next to me at the last SMGCA show in Knoxville had a civilian Model 11 receiver with a PROPERTY US NAVY riot barrel.

Doug, was it in the proper serial # range? numbers match?

trenchcrazy
02-28-2013, 10:43
Has anybody seen a US Navy marked shotgun without the US and bomb? If so would that be a procurement piece, and not under contract? TIA

Tom Doniphon
02-28-2013, 11:03
Has anybody seen a US Navy marked shotgun without the US and bomb? If so would that be a procurement piece, and not under contract? TIA

There were over 2300 Navy contract guns that were marked only with "Property US Navy" on the receiver and top of the barrel. They had no other martial markings. If that is the Navy mark you are referring to, they are not procurement guns. They are contact guns that all fall in a narrow serial number range.

trenchcrazy
03-01-2013, 09:01
Tom, that's good information, Thank you. I did not know of this block of guns. Is there a book I can reference on the subject? I have Mr. Canfields book but Can't find anything, maybe just missing it! Is the shotgun in question in the range 469,xxx? TIA

JiminLE
03-01-2013, 09:29
Funny...I have one of these Remington 11's with the "Property of US NAVY" stamped on top of the barrel and side of receiver. It's been well used but still fires reliably. Will post pictures and SN after I get home. It also has the Cutts.
Jim

Doug Douglass
03-01-2013, 02:40
Doug, was it in the proper serial # range? numbers match?

Number range, don't know, match, yes, beat up, yes, worth buying, no, or I would have.

JiminLE
03-02-2013, 09:15
Here's some pictures of my US Navy marked Model 11, SN 46193x. Barrel and receiver numbers match, it does look like it been around more than a block or two. Sorry, the full length came out a bit fuzzy.http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20363
http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20361http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20362
Jim