PDA

View Full Version : How to clean leather scabbard

emrisg
02-14-2013, 08:57
I have a leather carbine scabbard that has white mold on it. I have wiped it off several times but it keeps coming back. Does anybody have any ideas on how to clean it? I think I put too much pecards on it.

us019255
02-14-2013, 11:23
The mold is growing in the leather and the oils. The solution is to treat the leather with a fungicide. An old chemist's (I am an old chemist) trick is to make up a solution of CuSO4 (copper sulfate or blue vitriol) in water. The concentration is not important, say a tablespoon per quart. Clean the leather part with mild soap or saddle soap. Dip a rag in the Copper Sulfate, wring out, then wipe the leather. The Copper will kill and inhibit the mold from growing. Save the solution and the rag. You can help leather items stay mold free by just wiping them with the dry rag that is treated with the Copper Sulfate. It does not take much Copper to inhibit mold.

emrisg
02-14-2013, 11:51
Where can I buy the copper sulfate or what do I need to make it. Thanks for the great advice.

us019255
02-15-2013, 06:12
You used to be able to buy copper sulfate at a pharmacy. If you know a high school chemistry teacher he/she might give you some. You could also check scientific supply houses and other places on the web. It is sold in the form of blue crystals.

bug
02-15-2013, 07:02
Home Depot used to sell a root killer for use in sewer lines that I believe was crystalline Copper Sulphate.

Johnny P
02-18-2013, 08:52
I have a couple of slings that had Mink Oil put on them many years ago, and a white powder still forms on them. It wipes off easily, but always come back. I started using Pecards and have not had the white powder problem on the other slings.

emrisg
02-19-2013, 09:23
I have been using pecards exclusively for many years. This white mold appeard about 12 months after I applied it. I guess I put too much on.