PDA

View Full Version : Need load for '06

snakehunter
02-13-2013, 11:18
I'm looking for a load for my '06 that will approximate 308-'06 velocities with the 165gr Sierra Game King out of a 22' bbl. with a 12 twist. Here's where it gets sticky. It needs to shoot 1.5 moa or less using Win 748 powder, and I need to use Winchester cases and primers because I have tons of all the above components and you all now how everything is drying up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dollar Bill
02-13-2013, 11:45
748 is too fast for the 165 gn pill but, if you must, 42 to 47 grains is the range. Start low and work your way up VERY CAREFULLY. You will go from normal pressure signs to excessively high pressure in as littlle as 1/2 grain.

And this is bolt gun only stuff. Don't even try it in a Garand unless you are very experienced on both rifle and load developement. As always, reloading information is worth what you pay for it.

da gimp
02-14-2013, 08:08
748 is too fast for the 165 gn pill but, if you must, 42 to 47 grains is the range. Start low and work your way up VERY CAREFULLY. You will go from normal pressure signs to excessively high pressure in as littlle as 1/2 grain.

And this is bolt gun only stuff. Don't even try it in a Garand unless you are very experienced on both rifle and load developement. As always, reloading information is worth what you pay for it.

Never use anything but IMR 4064 or IMR 4895 (or Hodgkin equivalents ) for loads that might be or will be used in a Garand,their peak pressures & pressure curves are both ideal/perfect for Garands...I would not dare to use any other powder in Garand loads unless I was using an adjustable gas plug & was using the load data from someone that had used it in Garands for years with one.......

jjrothWA
02-14-2013, 08:10
Try the website: www.hodgdon.com and get current loads from the source.

I use the 168gr SMK for both 7.62NATO & Cal. 30 for over the course (Service rifles) and I have no problems with pressure, using W748.

Using the 165gr SGK for deer loads in, .308Win & 30-06, out of my three rifles (bolt. lever-action & semi) i can place three rounds @ 200 yds (SR-2 center) withing the "X", from prone position.

da gimp
02-14-2013, 08:32
it's not the pressure signs on the fired cases that is the problem.......... it is the pressure curve is to high from loads that slam the op rod back too fast,too hard & prematurely when fired. Original in spec M1 Garand op rods are getting harder to find & are daamned expensive nowadays....... Make sure to replace your M1 Garand op rod spring too....... too many are weakened & short.... combined with using the wrong powder can cause damage to both the op rod & receiver........ That being said, I use Win 748 for 7.62 Nato & .308 Win loads in an early 4 digit Springfield M1A & an HK91AZ sniper.......& for 7.62 X 54R Russian in an old WWII Tokarev. works fine it those..........

joem
02-14-2013, 11:10
I only load 4895 in .30-06. Although I have .30-06 bolt guns, I will not chance it getting into one of my Garands.

da gimp
02-14-2013, 12:18
I only load 4895 in .30-06. Although I have .30-06 bolt guns, I will not chance it getting into one of my Garands.

same here joe, have numerous bolt action .30-06's including a star guaged 1903NM & a factory pre war Steyr 98 custom built for a (late0 local attorney who was a military attache there pre-WWII........ all my .30-06 loads are loaded to be safe in our Garands........ if one of the kids/grandkids get some of my loads for one of our rifles, I know it'll be safe in our Garands. There ain't many Type I NM M1 Garands upgraded to Type II NM, or near mint IHC postage stamp running around........I can't/won't risk damage to any of our Garands.......

snakehunter
02-16-2013, 01:08
I'm looking for a load for my '06 that will approximate 308-'06 velocities with the 165gr Sierra Game King out of a 22' bbl. with a 12 twist. Here's where it gets sticky. It needs to shoot 1.5 moa or less using Win 748 powder, and I need to use Winchester cases and primers because I have tons of all the above components and you all now how everything is drying up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all for your replies to my question.