PDA

View Full Version : need help with this S&W model 29-2

colonel lingus
02-12-2013, 07:07
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=328901170

ive been looking for a nice 29-2 for along time. i found this one on gun broker and im interested in this one because it is close to my home (2 hours driving) and i can go there to pick it up with the FFL transfers etc.

i am having a problem determining the condition of the blue finish from the pictures. is it a bad picture or is the finished faded/worn?

it is very important to me that the finish is in mint or near mint condition. i am concerned about functional (cylinder play, bore etc.) features but there is now way to tell till i hold it in my hand.

if anyone could help or give me their opinion i would really appreciate it. this is my dream revolver

M1Garandy
02-12-2013, 08:02
The pictures aren't the best but I think the revolver in question may be covered in a film of oil.

joem
02-13-2013, 05:33
It's been sold. The pictures were certainly not the best but it looked like it was in pretty good condition. Not many people shoot these big guns very much.

da gimp
02-13-2013, 10:05
I'd go look at it before bidding if you could...........A S&W mod 29-2 is very desirable,more so if 4" barrel or 6 1/2"bbl......... but there is big drop in value from mint to 95%.............it'd be best to go look at it.

Art
02-13-2013, 02:39
It looks like it has a couple of minor scratches on the right side of the barrel. There are no visible drag marks on the cylinder. I can't see any holster wear. There are a bunch of what look like hand/finger handling smudges on it which surprises me, if I was selling it I would definitely have wiped those off. Film of oil doesn't bother me a lot of people keep a very light coat of oil on blued firearms and there appear to be no oil staining on the grips which seems to indicate that that part has been handled well. To me from the pictures it looks like the finish is 97%+. It also comes in the box which always brings a premium.

Gimp is right though, if the revolver is 98% or better it's definitely worth the $850.00. If it goes under 95% the price is high, in my opinion. I would definitely inspect it before putting any money down though and if I couldn't I'd want to be darn sure about the possibility of a return.

randy langford
02-13-2013, 06:54
I don't think anything was wrong with the finish but I am not a fan of that barrel length. I have a 4 inch barreled one that I love not as nice as that one but I think far more practical. All that being said I think someone will be very happy I don't think the final price was out of line.

colonel lingus
02-13-2013, 07:17
thanks for the help everybody,

randy i did keep looking at the finish last night and suddenly noticed that it looked a little long and a friend asked my why i wanted an 8" barrel. i want the 6 1/2" model.

randy langford
02-14-2013, 03:50
thanks for the help everybody,

randy i did keep looking at the finish last night and suddenly noticed that it looked a little long and a friend asked my why i wanted an 8" barrel. i want the 6 1/2" model. Things work out like they are supposed to keep looking you will know when you find the right one for you.

Art
02-14-2013, 06:04
Things work out like they are supposed to keep looking you will know when you find the right one for you.

Yep. Don't really want to settle on something like this. The good thing is the high end S&W big N frame magnums often have been carried little and shot less by people who really appreciate them. Because of that they are often available in really fine shape. They also come available pretty regularly.

I wanted a Model 27 in 3 1/2" or 5" barrel length for years. Last year my patience was rewarded and I got a beautiful 5" barrel Model 27-2 in wonderful condition for an excellent price.

da gimp
02-14-2013, 12:59
I don't think anything was wrong with the finish but I am not a fan of that barrel length. I have a 4 inch barreled one that I love not as nice as that one but I think far more practical. All that being said I think someone will be very happy I don't think the final price was out of line.

I carry a 4" S&W mod 29 (Pachy gripper grips)on a regular basis when I need to pack a serious social gun..loaded with moderately warm .44 spec loads, have never felt under gunned when I carry that old girl.....paid $275.00 for it and 200 rds of brass if that'll tell you how far back it was when I got her.......