PDA

View Full Version : 1903 with McGowan Barrel?

GillaFunk
02-10-2013, 10:05
I am looking at turning my 1903 into a bad ass distance shooter (800-1,000 yard).
I hear different opinions on criterion, Kreiger and now I'm hearing about McGowan :eek:

Anyone have a McGowan on their '03? Voice your opinion.

chuckindenver
02-11-2013, 06:44
standard G.I. issue barrel is hard to beat...
unless your thinking about a heavy barrel, you wont really gain anything other then a lighter wallet.
for standard aftermarket...hard to beat Criterion,,,your idea of long range...and my idea of long range...might be different.

JimF
02-11-2013, 07:09
I am looking at turning my 1903 into a bad ass distance shooter.
I hear different opinions on criterion, Kreiger and now I'm hearing about McGowan :eek:

Anyone have a McGowan on their '03? Voice your opinion.

Problem with using the '03 for your project . . . . is that after all the bells and whistles are installed . . . . the basic action has an extremly long lock-time for your purposes.

Use of a modern-day commercial action would be MILES (and dollars) ahead! --Jim

RCS
02-11-2013, 09:09
20097I sent this Ruger #3 to McGowan to have a heavy 24 inch barrel one inch in diameter in 308 cal installed on my Ruger. Also wanted the new 45-70 barrel in the Ruger returned. The Ruger would never group well, so I removed this barrel and milled the bottom where the fore-end hanger is located, still would not shot well. Maybe just this type of action or the McGowan barrel, other shooters at the range advised against using McGowen barrels.

The original Ruger 45-70 barrel was returned but - when McGowen removed this barrel they
failed to remove the Ruger extractor, the force used to remove the barrel caused the extractor to push the barrel steel into the chamber. The new barrel was damaged because of stupidity of the firm that removes and installs barrels !

Bill H
02-11-2013, 09:23
I agree on that. I have found the hard way that a military action does not make a good long distance rifle. By the time you do all the modifications needed, you still are left with an inferior rifle. Even a simple Remington 700 beats an 03 or Mauser by far.

Back when the 03 was state of the art, this problem was recognized, and all sorts of attempts were made to come up with something to reduce lock time.

The other issue is economic. You take a $250 dollar action, spend $1000, or more, and end up with a rifle you can sell for $400 on a good day.

Premod70
02-11-2013, 10:39
The Krieger barrel would be my choice and also I would have their shop install the barrel. Their stuff shoots and if it does not meet your "reasonable" expectations they will fix it. Them are some good Yankees!!

GillaFunk
02-11-2013, 10:40
Sorry, the goal is to make a 1941A1 that shoots well.

Sounds like the Criterion is the way to go.

Thanks gents.

Premod70
02-11-2013, 10:56
Sorry, the goal is to make a 1941A1 that shoots well.

Sounds like the Criterion is the way to go.

Thanks gents.

If you goal is top accuracy then you may wish to contact Krieger before you go that route, the Criterion is pre-chambered, button rifled and not held to the specs of a cut rifled Krieger barrel. Good luck.

Jim in Salt Lake
02-11-2013, 12:42
Hey GillaFunk, I agree that Criterion is the way to go to rebarrel a 1903. Have you tried your existing barrel with some good bullets? I put together a Vintage Sniper last year on a high number Springfield that had a SA 07 barrel. I was going to get it rebarreled but I tried some Sierra 168gr MKs in it and got MOA and sub MOA at 200 - 600 yards. I decided to shoot this barrel out instead and save the money to rebarrel down the road. I think throwing the $500-600 for a Krieger barrel to put on a 70 to 100 year old military rifle doesn't make sense but a Criterion for < $200 does.

Calif Steve
02-11-2013, 07:45
I would be looking for a new High Standard '03 barrel. It will look like a 1941 Sniper and will shoot very well. Just my $.02.

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
02-12-2013, 06:43
Don't poo poo the standard military barrel. They can provide amazing accuracy. I tend to agree with Calif Steve.

jt

GillaFunk
02-12-2013, 08:20
The input regarding using a GI barrel makes sense. Thanks Gents.

Keep in mind, I'm already (sadly) drilling a receiver for this project. Keeping an era correct barrel just to maintain its history is over-kill to me.

With the intent to make a 1941A1 clone yet be as accurate as reasonably possible and be able to pass it down to my kids (should I opt to EVER do that), re-barreling a rifle who's bore is likely over 70 years old and shot thousands of rounds, and will be custom fitted to a stock, then drilled and tapped for the A1 scope...it seems like re-barreling with a match accurate barrel would be the most economical way to build this shooter. That is unless, once I locate a donor rifle, the existing barrel is pristine.

If I am going to spend all this time and money building hot-rod '44 Ford Pick-up, why would I rebuild and replace everything but keep the engine stock?

We'll see what turns up. I'm still trying to find a donor '03.

rebound
02-13-2013, 10:42
A '44 Ford pick-up, now that would be something.
I understand your point..
But pick another year of production, because I don't think they made any during WW2.
FWIW

rebound
02-13-2013, 11:01
A '44 Ford pick-up, now that would be something.
I understand your point..
But pick another year of production, because I don't think they made any during WW2.
FWIW

I retract that statrment.... After looking it up in my truck book it shows a listig for 1944,
but no picture of it.....

GillaFunk
02-13-2013, 06:56
HA!

Ok, you got me on that one.

Krieger barrel is ordered. I want wanted 1:11 twist, so Criterion was not an option.