PDA

View Full Version : How does Win 700X work in a Dillon Powder Measure.

albert
02-07-2013, 12:14
Its all I have found but its a big container. Is it fine grained? I don't want to be stuck with an unusual powder. Data is in the Win Reloader Guide for the .38 spl. and .45 Colt I'll be loading. Normally I use Bullseye and Unique.

Parashooter
02-07-2013, 01:08
Somebody is confused. "Hi-Skor" 700-X is an IMR powder, not "Win". (Both brands are distributed by Hodgdon these days.) See http://www.imrpowder.com/hs700x.html for this description -

"This extruded flake type powder is ideally suited for shotshell in 12 and 16 gauge where clay target and light field loads are the norm. It doubles as an excellent pistol target powder for such cartridges as the 38 Special and 45 ACP and many more."

Granule size and metering consistency are in-between Bullseye and Unique. It's hardly what one would call "unusual" - widely-used for many years.

da gimp
02-07-2013, 04:54
Unique works extremely well through both Dillon 550's powder thrower & the standard RCBS powder thrower.....with great velocities & safe pressures........ to the best of my knowledge, you CAN NOT dbl charge a maximum load of Unique for any pistol cartridge I've loaded for in 40 years........without it spilling all over heck from an overflow.It works great for .38spec-.357mag. .45ACP, 9mmp, .44 spec/.44mag. Use your reloading guide for charge weights.........

Hefights
02-09-2013, 10:52
I have used it in the Dillon for 9mm and .45 ACP. Its a good pistol powder and will work well, but you have to be careful. I recommend not using max or near max loads as pressures can go high with only a tenth of a grain difference. I got more variation in powder charge with this powder than with Bullseye, 231 or Unique in my Dillon.