PDA

View Full Version : Correct T38 safety?

RWG
02-06-2013, 09:12
I am trying to assemble two T38 actions for building sporter rifles as I have always admired their ledgendary strength and simplicity. A term I have heard the Brits use is "bitser". As I have no complete as issued Arisaka I have no way of telling which safety knob is correct for a T38. The difference is on the inner face of the ring, one having a step on it's face and the other has no step. Which is the T38 safety? One of them might be for a T99??
I did get a photo of the safeties in question into the upload file manager but it will not allow me to drag and drop the photo into the attachment box. I clicked on the little question mark in the top right corner of the photo and got this message saying "this asset is not currently being used by any content that you have access to".....................Wierd!
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Guamsst
02-06-2013, 11:14
I believe if it fits it works...... Will check some out after I get home if no one has naswered by then.

Deano41
02-06-2013, 09:02
In comparing the two safety knobs, there is a square protusion on the shaft that is 13/16' from the end on the Type 38 knob, and9/16" from the end of the Type 99 safety knob. (I'm old and don't do metric)

RWG
02-07-2013, 07:43
Difference is the extra step on the ring. Also one has a knob on the exterior of the thumbknob and the other one has none.

Deano41
02-07-2013, 08:17
Measure the distance of the square protrusion on the shaft. That will determine whether the safety will fit in a 38 bolt body or a 99 body. Actually both will fit, but both won't work properly. (That protrusion is what fits in the slot of the bolt body, and locks it in place.)

Deano41
02-07-2013, 09:46
The safety knob on the right in your picture is a Type 38. The Type 38 safeties had three types, large knob, small knob, and indent(no knob.) The Type 99s were all "no knob" (indent on outer ring). The key is the square protrusion on the shaft.

RWG
02-07-2013, 10:53
In comparing the two safety knobs, there is a square protusion on the shaft that is 13/16' from the end on the Type 38 knob, and9/16" from the end of the Type 99 safety knob. (I'm old and don't do metric)
Thanks Deano41! Both mine measure 13/16" from the end of the .350 dia. rod to the (top) face of the square protrusion. Guess I can conclude both are T38 type but yet different in appearance.
Another question, is anyone able to recommend a gunsmith who can do the rather complicated breeching (as compared to Mauser) on a T38? Possibly someone located in the eastern half of the country?