PDA

View Full Version : Help with a vintage 98k stock

Garden Valley
12-13-2009, 06:04
It is my understanding that Mauser (Oberndorf) began phasing out walnut stocks for laminated stocks in 1937. And I also believe Oberndorf phased out the 10 inch cleaning rod and began installing 12½ inch cleaning rods in 1939. So......, I have a walnut stock, covered with WaA63 marks, but made for use with the 12½ inch cleaning rod. I first thought it must have been a left over stock that was installed on either a 1939 or early 1940 manufacture 98k. But if it was a left over stock from 1937, that would also mean it would have been made for the 10 inch cleaning rod, which it is not. Was it a left over stock blank that was made into a stock during 1939-40? A bit of a mystery to me. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

thommygun
12-15-2009, 03:19
Mauser stock are sometimes a big mystery. From what you have written it sounds to me like the stock was originally intended for export (probably for Portugal). At the outbreak of the war the government froze all exports and used them for its own supply. I have seen Portugal Mausers with a 1937 stamp on the receiver which were in service in the Wehrmacht. Because they were ordered in 8x57 and used the same equipment (bayonet, sling, cleaning kit,...) they were simply assimilated. It would help if you can post some pics.

Tom :-)

Milsurp Collector
12-17-2009, 09:38
Does it have a flat buttplate or a cupped buttplate?
Is there a hole on the bottom of the stock under the lower band?

Even after the transition to laminated stocks, Mauser Oberndorf would make stocks out of solid walnut when it was available. Here is my byf 43 with a solid walnut stock

http://i42.tinypic.com/rtdqfk.jpg

If there is a hole in the bottom of the stock under the lower band, the stock was originally made for the shorter cleaning rod but was converted to use the longer cleaning rod. The hole is the former location of the nut that the shorter rod screwed into.

http://i7.tinypic.com/82vjznc.jpg

Garden Valley
12-21-2009, 12:55
Sorry to take so long to reply but had to find some spare time to disassemble the rifle. My stock has the flat buttplate. Based on your photos, I have discovered that my stock was orginally manufactured for the shorter cleaning rod and later modified for the longer cleaning rod. I assume this must have been a standard practice. Based on this, I conclude the stock is a 1937 vintage stock and not a later walnut stock blank that found its way onto the production line.

Another interesting aspect of this stock is that it has the smaller diameter bolt disassembly port in the buttstock. I have seen two sizes of these and thought that Oberndorf used only the larger size and perhaps the smaller size might have been exclusive to some other manufacturer. However, my stock has many WaA63 marks on it, including the bolt disassembly port, so there is no question that Mauser used both sizes of disassembly ports. Any thoughts or observations about the twos sizes of disassembly ports?

Another question I have is...., when did the Germans begin using trigger guard locking screws that were full head screws without the semi-circular cut? I thought it was very late in the war but I have recently seen some claims that it was much earlier.

Thanks for your assistance.

dave
12-21-2009, 02:26
Mauser used walnut occasionally, even as late as 1942 and 43. These will have cup plates and will match rifle serial. Large disassemblely washers were phased in, 1940. That goes for all makers. I have never seen solid head lock screws on anything before 1943 but ofcourse I haven't seen them all! My 43 single 'rune' has them.