PDA

View Full Version : Wilde M1905

jeremy69
12-12-2009, 08:51
Anyone know if Wilde Tool ever used all black grips at any point? I know the red grips with the black rectangle are most commonly associated with these, but wondered if all black may have been used in production at some point. thanks in advance...

SKIPH
12-12-2009, 05:40
jeremy69-I don't think anyone knows. I've seen one that appeared unissued, it had the brown w/black rectangle grips. I own a M1905E1 Bowie point Wilde cut-down, it had black replacement grips. They show up on ebay now and then, but w/ the correct grips. Wilde only made around 60,000, probably with the mixed color grips. Sorry, I can't add more. SKIP

jeremy69
12-16-2009, 08:34
I was hoping to get a few more responses. I have some more to add. The Bayonet is in overall very good condition and the grips condition matches the bayonet. There is old grease caked into the nooks of the clip latch and around the grips. The clip latch cavity is full of the same grease and I cannot tell the maker of the latch as I do not wish to clean it out. The guard is marked WT read from the blade side, the grips are made by Auburn Button works.

Here go my questions... Have the commonly associated unmarked brown grips with the black rectangle been identified to a manufacturer? Are there any instances where a all black grip may be correct? They share the same LPI as the Auburn grips. At the end of Wilde's production may they have sourced some grips from Auburn? Did the bayonet manufactures source their own grips or did ordnance source them and then distribute them? I appreciate any thoughts and responses. Thanks, Jeremy.

jeremy69
02-20-2010, 05:50
For your viewing enjoyment.:1948:

Bayonetman
02-20-2010, 07:46
I have not heard yet that anyone has identified the maker of the Wilde grips. Since they are unfortunately not marked, I was not able to get the name of the maker as I did with the other makers whose logos were identified. Although it is likely that their supplier was somewhere in their area (Kansas City, MO), I have not been able to find any likely makers.

It is not impossible that Wilde received some grips from Auburn at one point or another. If their maker was unable to supply grips as needed, Ordnance might have had some shipped to them to cover the shortage. I have no firm information one way or another on this.

I spoke with some of the folks at Wilde some years ago, but unfortunately they had no information on their WW2 contracts. Apparently the records were destroyed at the time they moved.

Each maker contracted for their own grip supply, although as mentioned they could request an emergency shipment through the Ordnance committee if their supplier could not meet the demand.

jimb
02-24-2010, 07:41
My Wilde Tool is at the top. The next down is an O.L.
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o463/jimb16/009.jpg