PDA

View Full Version : Ken

John Sukey
11-25-2012, 12:03
My unit was once deployed to Cold Lake. Being a collector way back then, I looked up Canadian rank insignia. I spotted an officer and saluted him while most of our folks weren't sure about rank. A MP called me over and thanked me for saluting the officer!:D

Rank differences. At Cold Lake there was the enlisted mess and the senior NCO's mess. Individual tables with table cloths, A tea pot on the table, dishes instead of mess trays, and a choice ot three entrees! Still have a tea cup and saucer from there. Asked to buy it but they just gave it to me!
I would take a Canadian mess hall over an American one anytime!

Ron James
01-05-2013, 09:17
:eek: after rereading my own post I deleted it, too self serving

Ken The Kanuck
01-05-2013, 09:23
John,

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Ken

Gatofeo
06-24-2013, 08:35
The Canadians have proven themselves excellent soldiers time and again.
I ran into an old man in central B.C. a few years ago, who had an interesting tale.
He was a Canadian bush pilot in the early 1960s. The CIA recruited Canadian bush pilots to fly its aircraft in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand. The risk was great, and the money was excellent, he told me. So, he signed up.
They issued him an American passport, gave him a whole new American identity, and sent him over there. He flew dozens of missions over more than a year, then returned to Canada.
The money bought him a house and business. He still owns both.
But not all were as lucky. Some Canadians never returned, he said.
Canada produces some of the finest bush pilots in the world. Back in the early 1960s there weren't nearly as many as today, so a good bush pilot was an even rarer breed.
Anyone ever heard of Canadians being recruited by the CIA, to fly bush in Southeast Asia, and given American identities?
I found the man totally believable, especially when I saw photos of him flying in the early 1960s on his office wall.
What say you? B.S. or Believable?

Ken The Kanuck
06-24-2013, 08:48
Well I certainly believe that we have a long history of producing fine bush pilots going all the way back to Wop May and before. I have flown with them and would suspect that flying in Vietnam in the 60's would of had a great deal of appeal to many, that and a hefty pay cheques makes me think the story is true.

What part of centralBC by the way?

KTK

Andouille
06-29-2013, 03:31
I've read that approximately 40,000 Americans ran off to Canada to avoid the draft during Viet Nam, but that about 50,000 Canadians had crossed the border to join the American military during that period, providing a net gain. Have no idea if this is true or not, but wouldn't be surprised. But for sure I was in Viet Nam with a Canadian from Nova Scotia named Murphy. He had spent several years trying to join the U.S. Army so he could go to Viet Nam and fight Communists, because they were against Christianity. Such was his story, anyway, and he seemed sincere about his motives.

A fine fellow, too. He had cultivated a large and luxurious mustache, such as worn by British officers in WW1 photos, and so we called him "Colonel Murphy". Wish I had taken more pictures!

usmc69
02-10-2014, 10:24
Had a Canadian in my Boot Camp Platoon. Wanted to be Infantry, think he got his wish.

pcox
02-12-2014, 06:08
I served with a Canadian who was drafted and did a tour in Viet Nam. When I asked him why he didn't go home when he received the draft notice, he said that he was living in America and receiving the blessing that this country provided, so he felt he should do his part to support it.

Michaelp
02-14-2014, 01:52
Dunno about "bush pilots" but Air America had a considerable number of pilots of all stripes flying various missions of all types.
Lots of resupply and general cargo hauling.
They were used especially in the "secret war" in Laos.
They also had the neat Helo Courier, a noted STOL for personnel and similar flights.
A noted pilot was "Earthquake McGoon."

Lots of chopper pilots were guys who had done a previous tour and re-upped for flight school.
You'd see a lot of 1st Lts and Captains with Infantry or other branch insignia, combat patches, and CIBs with their flight wings.
The majority were one tour young WOs who could really work those birds for the most part.

Michaelp
02-14-2014, 01:53
Dunno about "bush pilots" but Air America had a considerable number of pilots of all stripes flying various missions of all types.
Lots of resupply and general cargo hauling.
They were used especially in the "secret war" in Laos.
They also had the neat Helo Courier, a noted STOL for personnel and similar flights.
A noted pilot was "Earthquake McGoon."

Lots of chopper pilots were guys who had done a previous tour and re-upped for flight school.
You'd see a lot of 1st Lts and Captains with Infantry or other branch insignia, combat patches, and CIBs with their flight wings.
The majority were one tour young WOs who could really work those birds for the most part.