PDA

View Full Version : Value of Swedish Model 38 Short Rifle

RCK
11-17-2012, 07:16
I am looking at a M38, dated 42, Husquarna in excellent condition. But, it has the import marks, the stock and handguard have different stamps from each other and the rifle. The last digits of the serial number are electropenciled not stamped on the bolt sleeve left side and rear of the cocking piece. It has the front sight protector but no sling. All finish is about 95%. The barrel shows very light vise type marks on both sides about 6 inches from the receiver.
The asking price is $400. Is this too high, about right or a small bargain? What would be a fair price?

Bill H
11-17-2012, 05:18
These rifles in good condition are not rare. Sounds as if this one has been in the tender hands of Bubba.

I do not think you will find one without the import marks, but the other things you mention are not common. I sold one recently which was just about mint except dents on the stock from being shipped on a pallet with others, and it brought less than $400. My recollection is I paid $350 for it.

Either negotiate a lower price, or keep looking. I believe you can do better.

gulliver62
11-20-2012, 01:03
I agree with Bill H. This is high for an unmatched M38. If you are looking for a collector/shooter you should be able to get one in the $400 range. For the one you mention, $300-325 seems more reasonable.

dave
11-21-2012, 09:59
The electro pencil serial numbers on recievers is being used by some importers. Sometimes adding a new serial to the original one (rule from ATF?). I have a Swiss 31 that had this done to it, very large, very ugly. I bought it cause it had a nice original walnut stock on it, not the common ugly beech/birch you usually see.