PDA

View Full Version : sykes fairbourn commando knife

k stein
12-03-2009, 05:35
I know nothing about these, but a friend has one for sale in good condition with the correct sheath. Could some one please advise what a price range would be to offer him. Thanks, Ken

John Sukey
12-04-2009, 12:41
Not up to current pricing, BUT keep in mind that these were sold to ANYONE during WW2 including American GI's
COPIES ARE STILL being made.

Saying that, I do have one that was carried on ops by a commando. I got it from a relative of his. I am told that he did write a nice letter saying when and where he carried it, but unfortunately he either forgot to mail it or it was lost in the mail. I suppose I will never know.

There are also several variations.

Sunray
12-05-2009, 07:31
"...sykes fairbourn..." Sykes-Fairbairn's have been copied as much as K-Bars. Some of 'em are exact copies still made in Sheffield, England.
Any markings on it?

kurtflys
12-07-2009, 08:04
I have collected these for years. But I did sell most of my collection a few years ago. The early 3" guards are worth 4000 to 8000 depending on condition. Only 50 made. The later ones are from 3K down to 200 bucks and below for the ones made now.

John Sukey
12-10-2009, 11:18
Going by those pics, my scabbard has a bit of elactic instrad of a leather strap and there are holes in the tabs which leads me to believe it was sewn onto some part of the uniform. handle is the more common one with a series of rings.

Oh by the way, the proper use is to grab the other guy by the uniform with one hand and stick the blade in around the belt line and stab up. this cuts the diaphragm preventing his lungs from working.

How to use an axe. Don't use the sharp edge when hitting someone from behind. Use the flat side, striking between the shoulder blades, crushing the spine.
Drops them without a sound.