PDA

View Full Version : Brno 7x57mm

jisii
11-30-2009, 01:51
I recently won an auction on Auction Arms for a Czech Mauser barreled action. It seems to be in very nice condition except for the triggerguard and floorplate which are a bit rough and corroded. The previous owner said the barrel was new unfired and purchased from Sarco some time back. The barrel measures 19-1/2" from bolt face to muzzle. As shown in the attached PIC, the barrel is stepped like a military Mauser barrel but the step intervals are different from G98s and K98s. Anyone here have any experience with these barrels? Any idea as to who made them and for what purpose?

Also, the action is not marked vz24: on the receiver is stamped CS.ST over ZBROJOVKA over BRNO. The previous owner said he thought it dated to 1922 but had no back-up documentation. Anyone here have any info on this action, good or bad?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/jisii/Brno%207mm/collage.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info offered.

JI Smith
Bedford PA

Bill
11-30-2009, 03:23
Your barrel looks very much like those that Numerich sold a while back. They were unfired, still in the grease, and not blued.

I believe they were intended for the 1908 Brazilian carbine. They fit any of the standard large ring actions.

I built two rifles using those barrels and they shot very well.

Yours could be made for almost any country which had a model 98 carbine, as they were all very similiar.

jisii
11-30-2009, 03:47
Thanks for the response bill. The previous owner said his gunsmith only had to remove the cosmoline prior to installing so the Numrich reference you gave sounds about right.
I hope you're right about the good shooting from these barrels. The bore looks extemely good, mirror bright with sharp rifling. This piece came equipped with a Timney adjustable trigger and low safety and the bolt is already modified for scope clearance. It is also drilled and tapped for a receiver sight and one of my old Redfields bolted right on. I have been looking for a good 7x57mm for qiute awhile now. It will probably be awhile before I can shoot it: I'm pricing semi-finished Manlicher style stocks for it now.

mayko
11-30-2009, 03:53
On May 18, 1946 The CZ firm was renamed Zbrojovka Brno, A.S. (Brno Arms Works, Ltd.) My source is Mauser Bolt Rifles by Ludwig Olsen (pg. 200)
That's all I see that is close to what you describe. I will look further.
Hope this helps.

Jim K.
11-30-2009, 07:35
The markings indicate it is a Model 98/22 made in Czechoslovakia in 1922-23. The date of manufacture should be on the left side of the receiver ring. They were bought by Turkey, China, and other countries. Unless something indicates the country where it was used, there is no way of knowing whether it was originally 7x57, 8x57 or 7,65x53 as it was made in all three calibers. If it was used by the Czechs themselves, it would originally have been in 8x57.

It doesn't really matter, though. As it is now, it stands to be a nice sporter in a caliber that is pleasant to shoot. The turned down bolt and commercial low scope safety indicate it is ready to be drilled and tapped for the scope and mounts of your choice. IMHO, it deserves a nice sporter stock.

Jim

jisii
11-30-2009, 08:03
I totally agree Jim K, I'm currently looking at Richards Microfit and Great American Gunstocks on-line. Both offer Manlicher style stocks but price may be a problem. I'm retired on Social Security and my IRA savings so I have to be carefull how much I spend or at least how much my wife knows about! I plan to remove the clip load hump and notch, polish it my self and get a good bluing job after I get a good stock for it. I may put on a classic Lyman Alaskan/Griffin&Howe scope and mount combo (see PIC) I picked up at a local auction last summer if I can find a smith locally who can install it for me.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/jisii/lymamalaskan7-11-09005.jpg

JimF
12-01-2009, 05:19
. . . a bolt stop (on the left side). --Jim

Bill
12-01-2009, 06:42
You certainly have already finished most of the work necessary to turn this into a very nice sporter.

The Lyman Alaskan would make a nice scope, but my suggestion would be to invest in a set of Weaver low rings, or a one-piece Redfield base. You would not need to invest in the cost of removing the clip "bulge", as the Redfield and I believe also Weaver have models designed to fit the original shape of the action.

I have half dozen rifles built on Mauser actions, and all have the original shape.

Both of my 7x57 rifles have manlicher stocks, and while a lot more work to fit to the rifle, they look and handle well on these short light rifles.

jisii
02-04-2010, 02:44
I recently completed the 7mm Brno, at least to the point that it is shootable, and I'd like to share some PICs.

I polished and blued (Brownell's "Oxpho-Blue") the metal parts, reshaped the triggerguard, added a mint used Lyman 57SME rear sight and fitted a semi-finished stock I picked up at a local estate auction. It seems an oldtimer had it lying around for quite awhile and never used it before he passed away. I completed the inletting and glass bedded it with "AccraGlass". The finishing touches were the addition of sling swivels and sling.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/jisii/Brno%207mm/completedcollage.jpg

I would like to mount a scope but really don't want to drill and tap the pristine receiver and I would like to keep the Lyman receiver sight as a back-up. Sadly, I can't find anyone who makes a side mount for a Mauser anymore except Griffin & Howe and their mount is prohibitively expensive. I have an old G&H mount but it has 7/8" rings: new rings from G&H cost $150.00. I wish I could find a mount like the Paul Jaeger QD mount on my 03 Springfirld sporter but they are no longer made.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/jisii/03%20Sporter/8-29-09011.jpg
Any suggestions would be welcome.

J.I. Smith
Bedford PA

Long Island
02-04-2010, 08:42
Try Brownell's they have Williams side mounts,if you don't mind alumnium.
Bob

jon_norstog
02-05-2010, 10:22
JI,

that is a sweet looking rifle. Do you really need a scope? I'm 64, with typically lousy vision, but have found that iron sights work pretty well for me in a hunting situation. Off a bench it's a different story, of course.

good luck with your project.

jn

jisii
02-06-2010, 07:21
Hi Jon, I agree with you on the iron sights. I shoot my military rifles, 03 Springfields, Garands,K98s etc. often and can still do reasonably well with my almost 70 year old eyes. I think I will probably leave it as-is.

Best Regards

J.I. Smith