PDA

View Full Version : British made M1 belts

wayne
09-16-2012, 03:34
I have a couple of M1 cartridge belts marked "British made". One is marked as being made by the
"Bagcraft Company" in 1944, the other I can't read the maker. Both are marked US. Anything special about them? Both are in excellent condition.

alibi
09-18-2012, 01:24
As a militaria collectible there were fewer made, and since they were already in the ETO most were probably issued and therefore fewer survivors in any condition. There are collectors that seek the "British Made" for the U.S. equipment. These items are usually referred to as "Reverse Lend-Lease" however unlike the Lend-Lease Program as far as I can tell the U.S. paid the contractors and accepted the material for issue, although these items usually have "Broad Arrow" passed inspection marks that indicate technically the British Government accepted this equipment. Most Lend-Lease and Reverse Lend-Lease field equipment is marked "U.S."

FYI I invite your attention to: "United States Army in World War II, The Technical Services, The Quartermaster Corps: Operations in the War Against Germany." GPO, 1965, page 314. The following equipment items and quantities are listed: Bag, canvas, field 378,204; Belt, cartridge, cal. 30 186,294; Belt, pistol 391,646; Cover, canteen 823,209; Pouch, first aid 1,554,875. This volume has a lengthy discussion on the acquisition of equipment and supplies in the U.K.

Besides the uniforms and equipment manufactured in the United Kingdom, aluminum canteen cups were manufactured in Belgium in 1945. A large number of items were manufactured in Australia, including Canteen covers, Meat cans (mess kits), and utensils.