PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Helmet date

Barryeye
08-21-2012, 09:50
1762517626176271762817629Gentleman. I told a friend that I was looking for a U.S. helmet to compliment my late manufacture Inland M1 Carbine. I was after a helmet of the kind that could have been used in Korea or a little later.
Recently he came up with the helmet pictured and assured me it was of the type used in Korea. At US$25 I could not turn it down. I know little about helmets. Did he get it right?

Ltdave
08-22-2012, 04:27
yep. definitely post WWII. im quite certain it is post- Korea as well...

the straps should be sewn if you want anything up to about 1960 sometime...

m1ashooter
08-22-2012, 08:39
Can you tell us is the finish cork or sand? What are the markings in the helmet and the liner. The liner is either WW2 or korea if it has the center grommet in the front. The webbing in the liner looks like its been rewebbed and doesn't match the wear of the liners chin strap. The steel shell looks like WW2 paint. Can you make out the markings on the nape strap? The clipped helmet chin strap doesn't mean it is post Korea as we have seen some pictures of them used in Korea late war. For $25 you did great. Some reference sites.

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/dating_m1.htm
http://www.toppots.net/main.php?do=clientsitecontent&action=home&link_id=140
http://www.jmurrayinc1944.com/

Barryeye
08-23-2012, 11:38
Thank you gentlemen. I am away from home at the moment but I will get back to this topic when I have a chance to examine the helmet again.

thorin6
08-24-2012, 05:40
Shell could be anytime from November 1944 up to about 1984. Look for a number just behind the front brim stamped into the metal.
Liner is post-1953 but since the Korean War didn't really end then and was still a war zone into the 1970s this combination very well could have been worn in Korea during that time (up to the 1970s). Assuming you have an Inland with the adjustable sight, bayonet lug, and flip safety this helmet would go well with it. M1 Carbines with those traits were used during the early days of the Viet Nam War (1965-1967) and even later by US Advisors and their ARVN troops.

Barryeye
08-25-2012, 10:00
17681Gentlemen. Thank you all for your input. I’ve had a second look at the helmet and apart from the faded word LOT ??? 32 on the webbing I can’t find any markings at all. There is nothing stamped under the peak. The finish is rough matt green. I assume this is sand? Not sure what is meant by “the center grommet”. I am looking for a reinforced hole but can’t one. I worked out what a nape strap was and undid it as writing was facing the liner. Very faded but I’ll take a stab at:
Neck Band Soldiers
Helmet Liner Q
There is a third line of writing but I cannot read it.
I’m pretty sure that this helmet comes from New Zealand army surplus and N.Z. troops were in Korea and Vietnam. My carbine is definitely late issue and has all the relevant upgrades.
Barry

thorin6
08-27-2012, 11:32
I'd have no problem displaying the helmet with the M1 Carbine; they very well could have served together in Viet Nam and even in Korea between 1956 and 1975.

Barryeye
08-29-2012, 03:28
Thanks for all your help chaps. Always amazed at the deapth of knowledge I find on this forum.

m1ashooter
08-29-2012, 07:10
If there is a grommet hole in the front of the liner then its US WW2, is there a makers stamp in the crown of the liner?

thorin6
08-30-2012, 03:50
If there is a grommet hole in the front of the liner then its US WW2, is there a makers stamp in the crown of the liner?
If you look at the first picture, you'll see that the liner does not have a grommet hole in the front. Also, liners made during the Korean War (with the green HBT webbing) also have grommet holes in the front and are stamped inside the crown of the line with the Westinghouse and CAPAC marks.

Fred Pillot
09-05-2012, 11:07
Would the grommet hole in the liner have been for a badge or rank insignia?

thorin6
09-06-2012, 08:18
That's my assumption, although I can't find any confirmation in my reference books.