PDA

View Full Version : World War I veteran’s missing medal turns up on eBay

Jeff L
06-07-2012, 02:20
Nice story.
•story link• (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/world-war-veteran-missing-medals-turn-ebay-182121046.html;_ylt=AjUBqVSsbkAc4bqrDimdInKs0NUE;_ ylu=X3oDMTNsdGpoMGpmBG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBGUARwa2cDMz NiYmM3OWEtMzdlMi0zYWEwLTg3YjItMDA3NTA1ZDliZjVjBHBv cwM1BHNlYwN0b3Bfc3RvcnkEdmVyA2I3ZTFmMmYxLWIwZDAtMT FlMS1iNjJiLTRiN2JiZTUwZDFkZA--;_ylg=X3oDMTFlamZvM2ZlBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3)

Ken The Kanuck
06-07-2012, 05:03
Good story Jeff, thanks for sharing.

KTK

Barryeye
06-07-2012, 10:54
Thanks Jeff I read this post with great interest as I am the proud owner of the same WWI medal that belonged to my grandfather. Then I thought to myself that I had not seen the medal for a while so off I went to search for it. Of course I knew exactly where it was but it wasn’t. PANIC. I looked one by one in the next most logical places where it may be but no joy. Panic was turning to dismay when I finally found it at the back of a draw that held old phone chargers and power adaptors???
A common medal but worth so much to me. Here’s a photo of my grandfathers medal and my grandfather..
Barry

John Sukey
06-07-2012, 11:44
So who remembers what the usual trio of Brit WW1 medals were called by veterans?

Barryeye
06-08-2012, 01:13
Mine ?

Griff Murphey
06-08-2012, 05:15
Amazing what turns up on E Bay. A guy who is a member of our Friends of the RFC Cemetery found, and bought, a grouping of all the stuff on Cadet Cyril Baker and his brother, a Canadian infantryman. Photos, medals, tinny grave marker. You have to wonder how the family brings themselves to dispose of those things. Perhaps the family died out, or a great grandchild just thought it was junk. What was junk in Canada is now a revered relic in Texas.

Baker is the first of the twelve WWI RFC/RAF buried in Fort Worth that we have found a photo of.

dave
06-08-2012, 05:56
Did the Brits put names and/or serial numbers on all medals? They did not in the US so would not be possible to ID a certain medal with a person.

Barryeye
06-08-2012, 09:13
Did the Brits put names and/or serial numbers on all medals? They did not in the US so would not be possible to ID a certain medal with a person.
Can't say all for sure but mine and the few others I have looked at have the name, number and regiment stamped into the edge.

Barryeye
06-08-2012, 09:17
So who remembers what the usual trio of Brit WW1 medals were called by veterans?

Come on John. Tell us. I have the names Wilfred and squeak ringing bells?

John Sukey
06-08-2012, 11:07
Pip, Squeak, and Wilfred

All WW1 medals were named, but not WW2 campaign medals, though you could pay to have your name put on them.

then there was one medal you DID NOT want to earn. Called the "Death Penny" since it cost the government one penny to make them. I suppose thats because Kitchner managed to get a quantity discount.
Really a large Medallion rather than a medal impressed with the deceased's name

Cosine26
06-09-2012, 09:41
My Father and Victory Medal (A little worse for wear after all these years)
Served with 26th Engineers AEF

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/Cosine1/COVMjpg.jpg

Barryeye
06-09-2012, 11:27
That ribbon can be replaced but I would leave as is. A wonderful bit of history to pass on in the family. Thanks for posting.

Tom Doniphon
06-12-2012, 06:37
What great story. Thanks for posting the link.

A couple of years ago I did an ebay search under the name of the ship my father served on during WWII. I was stunned when I came across an auction for the ship's bell. I contacted the ship's reunion association who was able to purchase the bell from the seller.

John Sukey
06-15-2012, 04:23
Thanks Jeff I read this post with great interest as I am the proud owner of the same WWI medal that belonged to my grandfather. Then I thought to myself that I had not seen the medal for a while so off I went to search for it. Of course I knew exactly where it was but it wasn’t. PANIC. I looked one by one in the next most logical places where it may be but no joy. Panic was turning to dismay when I finally found it at the back of a draw that held old phone chargers and power adaptors???
A common medal but worth so much to me. Here’s a photo of my grandfathers medal and my grandfather..
Barry

If my eyes do not decieve me, I believe your grandfather was an horse artillery man.

Barryeye
06-15-2012, 08:12
If my eyes do not decieve me, I believe your grandfather was an horse artillery man.

Well done John. He died when I was about 5 and I know very little about his military service. I do know that he was in the Royal Artillery but little more. I was a bit puzzled as to why you suggested horse artillery. But then I thought the bandoleer might have been a clue? Never thought of that before. Would a run of the mill gunner have been issued a rifle? Hard to research my grandfather. His name was John Smith. I do have his number on his medal but it has not been much help.