PDA

View Full Version : GEW 98 question.......?

Brad
06-07-2012, 12:49
We have here two nice Gew 98's. Both dated 1917 and both made in Berlin.
But one has a disc in the stock and the other the bolt tool.
When did they cange over to the bolt tool?
Should there be markings on the disc.
Both appear original to the tifles.
Thanks

dave
06-07-2012, 01:33
You did not say if the rifles have matching stocks. I think 1917 is the year, (I am not going to the books) however no changes can be pinned to a certain month or day as they took place as old parts were used up and machines were changed to make the new spec's. This may be shorter or longer times at different manufacturers even. Grasping grooves appeared with the bolt tool.

Brad
06-07-2012, 02:56
Thanks for the prompt response!
I could not find a serial number on either stock. However both have the s/n on the metal part of the bayonet lug, which may not of ever been removed?
And these serial numbers also match each rifle.
The one with the disk is s/n 79. The other, which to my knowledge is all match is 4320.
So there appears to be about 4250 rifles between the two.
Also, the one with the disk hase no grasping groove, and the other dose, just as you said it should.
Thanks again

dave
06-08-2012, 05:44
The serial on bayo lug (and other small parts) is only the last two numbers! German serials consisited of 4 digits and a letter, so that 79 could be anything. When 9999a was reached they went to the next letter and started with 0001b (for instance). Look in barrel channel on stock & handguard and on bottom just behind the pistol grip. It appears the stocks may have been sanded (markings gone) which reduces value of the rifles.

Brad
06-08-2012, 07:30
Thanks as always for getting back.
I think the one stock is certainly lightly sanded. Not sure about the other.
The s/n 79 is on the barrel and reciever bothm with sub letter "g".
I'll look for the numbers elsewhere when I tear them down.
Any rough idea what these rifles in complete form might be worth?
One is about 50%, the other 75% finish condition.
Regards

dave
06-08-2012, 09:11
As always value depends on condition, condition, originallty. Allot of these were re-built in the 30's, new sights, new bluing, etc. As they were official military rebuilds they have a value in their own right. With out a detail description of finish, sights, etc. or some good pics I could not say. WW1 finish had many bright parts, incuding reciever, bolt, butt plate and some small parts. Also had a high hump rear sight. Either type should be in the 300-600 range----IF they were not some of the ones given to Turkey by the Germans!

Brad
06-08-2012, 12:39
Thanks, thats right where I was thinking.
One seems all original except the floor plate and bolt sleeve. Although the stock seems to be lightly sanded I can see the matching s/n "79" near the rear sling attachment. It is missing the cleaning rod but still retains the high hump rear sight. Bore has plenty of rifling.
I have not been able to clean it up yet but the metal all has a gray patina.
I dont know how much I should try and clean it up, if any.
Although this rifle is not near as nice as the other, it well represents a German WWI rifle with the high rear site and I think I can clean it up pretty decent. I have $300.00 in it and this one I think I'll keep.

The other is totally matching except the rear site was changed to the K98 type, and the cleaning rod s/n does not match.
The stock is original finish and pretty decent, but was duffle cut between the mid and end band. But it is well re-joined and actually hard to notice unless told.
I have about $450.00 in it. It has a repro sling also.
I would let it go for what I have in it.

So, it sounds like you know allot about these and it stands to reason you would know others who may be also. If you know anyone that might be interested please let them know.
Both rifles are DEUTSCHWAFFEN-UND MUNITIONSFABRIKEN BERLIN 1917

Thanks for the help

dave
06-08-2012, 03:59
Cleaning rods seldom match! I have several examples of both types and do not try to collect every maker, year, etc. (unless really a bargain!) My Mauser collection is much more deverse then just German examples.