PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing squad kit container

oracledba4me
05-18-2012, 05:18
Hello
I have a climax squad kit container and was looking for recommendations for places that could refinish it in its proper finish?
Thanks Wallace

Barryeye
05-18-2012, 09:30
Forgive me. I don't know. Just what is a "Climax Squad Kit" ?

alibi
05-19-2012, 06:41
I've seen them blued, and parkerized. I believe that those manufactured during WWII by Climax were parkerized. I'm sure someone here can provide references to companies that re-blue and re-Parkerizing firearms and other metal equipment. I'm under the impression that all of the original finish has to be removed in order for the new finish to properly adhere to the steel. In this process the edges of the metal and markings are somewhat rounded or flattened.

Years ago I obtained a Parkerizing kit that had two cans of chemicals that when combined and applied according to the instructions provided it was possible to do the work yourself. It required a great deal more work than I was willing to try, and required tubs and other materials that I did not have, so never got around to trying the "home work shop" kit. With the recent popularity of military firearms Parkerizing services and maybe kits similar to the one I have, are available.

My thought is that the expense of parkerizing a squad pistol cleaning kit box may be more than obtaining another box in better condition.

alibi
05-19-2012, 07:26
Here are images of the Squad pistol cleaning kit. The box is pressed sheet steel 8.75 x 5 x 1.75 inches, with wood fixture block inside to hold the patch can and oil can in place. Early examples of this kit the box was blued and the cleaning rods, patch can (for bore cleaning patches), and oil can were brass. Later examples the box was sheet steel Parkerized, and the rods, patch can and oil can were Parkerized steel. The combination tool for disassembly of the pistol were blued and later Parkerized steel.

In the example shown here the box is a “Climax” manufactured by “Ham M.P. Co., Ham, Ohio” This information embossed in the bottom readable from the inside. Presumably “Climax” was a trade name of Ham M.P. Co. The cleaning rods are steel Parkerized, the patch can and oil can are brass, and the combination tools are blued. Original unused kits are unusual, and they are more commonly found with mixed vintage components (as is this one) or missing items. In the image provided some of the cleaning rods have been removed to show the patch can (which this example still has the protective coating) and oil can, an example of the combination tool is displayed on the lid, the rest are partially visible inside the front edge of the box.

I’m not sure of the exact nomenclature, but they were intended to be issued one per squad armed with the pistol caliber-.45 M1911. In most company and headquarters units, where only a few individuals were armed with pistols, only one of these kits were issued.

Johnny P
05-19-2012, 10:13
The two CLIMAX kits I have are OD green painted. The drawing number on all the parts indicates either pre-war or early WWII manufacture. This one has the pre-war unfinished U.H. CO. rods.

http://i47.tinypic.com/smdem0.jpg