PDA

View Full Version : Leech and Rigdon Confederate Bowie 1862

pelago
05-16-2012, 01:54
I am fortunate to have one, found it in Nashville (Murfeesboro) and it is in good shape, does have age pitts and is quite dull of course, steel is black and handle is in good shape, been valued and appraised at 400.00

all i have done is scrub in with a tooth brush and oil, would like to sharpen it and see about pitts, but have been told again and again that just leave it be, it is worth more, but drives me nuts to look at it and see all the pitts on it and know that wire brush would remove 90% of the pitts. would not be (to me) a 'restore' but only a good cleaning?

so how does cleaning it up reduce the value?

BOB LOUGHLIN
05-16-2012, 07:11
DON'T DO IT. Put it behind glass and let it be what it is. Bob.

Barryeye
05-17-2012, 12:49
Tempting I know but please don't. Any chance of some pictures,sounds interesting.

pelago
05-17-2012, 04:48
two photos, one is of overall Civil War items, some i dug, some are family some i bought three of the pistols are Italian, one is original colt, pocket knives are repros (hard to find them) Kepi is repro (but high quality one) all others are from civil war. Great Great Grandfather Cpl Martin Barger 25th Il and that is his belt and buckle and primer holder from belt, pistol was his (kept in a box and is mint, probably did not use this in war but got after and kept safe) He was appointed commanding officer of Old Soldiers home in Danville Ill in 1908 as a full Colonel his sword is in collection
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/pelago177/civilwarcollection.jpg

Bowie Knife
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/pelago177/bowieknife.jpg

found the confederate bullet mold in the Neuse River near Kinston NC at low river time in July
battle for Kinston at railroad bridge crossing neuse. got buttons from a place in cherokee, found a woman selling a jar of buttons for ten dollars and these were in it, some are quite valuable one from a MS unit worth according to books 2500.00 until that day did not know that there were so many different buttons

i built the display case

Barryeye
05-17-2012, 10:53
Now that is a collection and display to be proud of. Battle field finds must have a special vibe for the finder. Knowing you were the first to touch and own them since the original owner must I imagine give a collector a special thrill. Thanks for posting those pictures.

pelago
05-17-2012, 12:18
My Great Grandfather fought at Stones River, Chicamagua and Missionary Ridge. Years after the battle of Stones River he wrote a incredible letter describing the battle, (1908) he was very effective in his writing and my wife and I are convinced we found the actual site that he described at Stones River, and with historical maps and his descriptions I am positive we found the site he defended. His letter describing his boyhood friends tumbling into the river, how the river was turning read from blood. I can say with complete honesty that i was humbled to tears standing there in 2005 and he stood his ground in Dec 1862. Talk about goose bumps
I read the letter he wrote while my bride videotaped it. We presented the "friends of Stones River" with a copy and a photograph of him taken right before the battle, (one of the common practices of suttlers was the photos for mom deal, even in those days) his letter and photo are on display at the museum at the battlefield.
thanks for your kind comments

http://usgenealogyexpress.com/~il/vermilion/graphics/mjbarger.jpg

Barryeye
05-18-2012, 09:26
You are lucky to have such a positive connection with your families past. Thanks to you the memory of your grandfather lives on. I’m sure he would approve if he could.

Johnny P
05-19-2012, 08:26
A now departed friend dug a small Bowie type knife at the site of the Battle of Poison Spring near Camden, Arkansas. The blade was naturally heavily pitted, and the handle slabs which had probably been bone or stag were gone. The brass guard was in excellent shape although a nice green color. After carefully cleaning the bowie my friend found a name engraved on the brass hilt, J. A. Bills. Turns out that J.A. Bills was listed in the roster of the 29th Texas Cavalry that fought at Poison Spring. He was listed a Private, Company C, and had enlisted in Lamar County, Texas.

My friends first inclination was the restore the knife with a new set of grips, but we convinced him that to do so would destroy the history of the knife. If your knife is pitted, no amount of wire buffing will remove the pits, but likewise it will remove part of it's history. It is much more desirable to a collector just like it is.

pelago
05-19-2012, 09:32
1 AGREE
However the Marine in me can not stand to see it like it is, but that is okay, i will not touch it other than to wipe it down with oil periodically, toughest item i will use will be a toothbrush, then back in the display case.
planning on going to a former civil war arty battery site near my house, every time a army settles in the soldiers lose things, from money to bullets to belt buckles

thanks for your story, that is what makes collecting interesting
On the wall at the VA hosp in Danville Il is a photo of my Great Great Grandad as the Commanding Officer of the Old Soldiers home. I like to think he would appreciate what i have done