PDA

View Full Version : Info on two Swede M96's needed

Vi Shooter
05-15-2012, 07:48
Just getting started helping a friend with his step-dad's estate. After we get everything photographed and descriptions written, most of it will likely end up on Gunbroker.

Along with Enfield's, Moisin's, and M1's there are two Swedish 96's in very good condition here among the Mauser family (more questions about those will follow).

One M96 is dated 1899 and has the original 29" barrel length and a walnut stock. Stock disk shows only the original data. Blueing at about 90% condition and appears to not be original but very well done (stamp marks are in good shape with just a little thinning of the top of the crown on the front receiver ring). All matching numbers. Import stamped on right side of barrel in plain sight (unfortunately).

Second is dated 1901, has been shortened to 24" and has a stock with a wider grain than the walnut one that likely dates to the shortening to M1938 configuration. Stock disk shows only one set of inspection marks. Blueing is about 95% condition and probably dates from the shortening (all stamps are very clear and sharp). All matching numbers. Import stamped under the barrel where it is hard to see (good spot).

What's a good value range for these two Swede's?

TIA,
Vi

randy langford
05-15-2012, 07:11
Best advice is go to Gunbroker and search completed listings for similar guns that is usually what I do before listing.

Vi Shooter
05-17-2012, 08:03
Randy, is there any way to filter out the auctions that didn't result in a sale?

Never mind. I can sort them by number of bids and ignore the auctions with zero bids.

randy langford
05-17-2012, 05:33
You have to be a register user go to advance search and click on completed listing tab then search from there I filter by highest number of bids.

dryheat
05-20-2012, 12:56
I love Swedes and get excited looking at the ads for them. Now, I used to buy them for under $100, but I will throw $200 or more at something that catches my eye. The last two Obendorfs(1900) I picked up, I was happy to lay out $250 for. Something really nice, I wouldn't lose any sleep over $300 or so(I justifie this by keeping in mind I buy lots of M1 Garands for $650 and up). 1899 is a pretty cool date.