PDA

View Full Version : Info on a 1899 Swedish Mauser needed

BulldogMack
05-07-2012, 06:22
I have a guy who wants to do some trading with me , he has a Swedish Mauser made in 1899.

I have a few questions, how nice is the rifle, what would a good value be on it, and is there a demand for them?

Heres the info I have on it.

1899 Swedish Mauser M96

Manufactured in 1899, Model 1896 Swedish Mauser manufactured by Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärsfaktori.

It has matching numbers throughout, including the buttplate, magazine door, barrel ring, bayonet mount, bolt release, bolt, bolt knob, safety and receiver. The serial number is o.g. 12810 and makes this one of the earliest ones built, about mid-year in 1899.

This is an older import and does not have any stamping on the barrel showing the importer.

It has the original stock medallion (showing bore condition and size), original rings and cleaning rod. Crown Cartouche stamping is prevalant throughout, including marks on the stock, bayonet mount, barrel ring, floorplate, rear sight and reciever.The threaded muzzel is in fine shape and the adjustable front blade sight is present. It has "0" stamped on the mount and blade, presumably a sighters inspection stamping.

The Micro-Adjustable rear sight is a rare option and this one is perfect. It is not bent, rusted or worn out, and shows original bluing on the spring.

Condition is very good for it’s 113 year age with all metal surfaces showing a nice patina and the wood having a lot of usage marks. Fit between the metal and wood is superb, indicating the stock has never been refinished. The bore is bright and shiny with deep rifiling present. After removing the cosmoline in 1980, I fired this weapon a total of 4 rounds, and it function flawlessly. It has been either hanging above my door, or in my closet ever since.

Photobucket link to pics.

http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx277/SnakePeterson/Swedish%20Mauser/

leftyo
05-07-2012, 08:36
overall decent looking rifle, but despite what he said, the rear sight is not the original for the rifle, even though it likely left sweden with it. i ballpark the value in the $350-400 range.

JBinIll
05-07-2012, 08:40
From the pictures you have what appears to be a M1896 rifle altered to M1938 specifications.The M1896 has a barrel length of 29.1 inches,the M1938 24 inches.This was a common arsenal conversion done by the Swedes when the M1938 was adopted. The stock disc shows the bore condition was inspected at least twice before being sold as surplus.The small triangular section with 1 2 3 in it has "tick" marks above the 1 and 2, no wear would have no marks above any number.The Swedes graded barrels from 0 to 4,0 was new condition,4 was reject.The micrometer on the rear sight was used to calibrate the older M1896 sight for the newer m/41 amminition.

The matching numbers is a plus but the altered M1896 rifles will not bring as much as an unaltered M1896 in like condition or a M1938 built as a M1938.There is demand for Swede rifles in nice condition as collectors and shooters in the vintage military bolt gun shoots.

jon_norstog
05-07-2012, 09:06
Bulldog,

that is a nice rifle. It has a walnut stock, which is a plus. In fact I had one like that I sold for I guess 4175. But that was years ago. The prices have gone up. A swede in decent condition is easily worth $350-400 these days.

The best thing to do with it is shoot it. they are **really** accurate!

jn

BulldogMack
05-08-2012, 04:58
Id rather have a German Mauser or Arisaka,
Thank all of you for the details and info. Would anyone want it for the sake of asking? Jay

dave
05-08-2012, 05:44
I always thought all 1899 dated rifles were made by Mauser, Oberndorf. I guess not, eh? Mine is and I did own a 1901 rifle with a Oberndorf reciever with a lower serial then one I now own, was told Sweds had problems with first rec.'s they made and this rifle had a spare rec. installed on it.

BulldogMack
05-08-2012, 05:20
I tink I might sell it and give someone a good deal so I can get me a German Mauser.

leecork
05-11-2012, 07:28
I may be interested in taking this rifle off your hands. Please email me at :

leecorky@roadrunner.com

BulldogMack
05-11-2012, 05:08
I just emailed you, Jay

BulldogMack
05-12-2012, 08:08
Sold to loadie101 on CMP forums.