PDA

View Full Version : PIAT price check

Guamsst
05-01-2012, 08:15
Anyone able to give me a rough estimate of the value of a "really nice" British PIAT?

I don't need an exact figure as I will be trading guns and swords. Sorry, no pics available.

PhillipM
05-01-2012, 08:26
I think Sukey has one

John Sukey
05-01-2012, 09:10
IMA has one and the price is enough to make you faint! I believe around 2K. I got mine many years ago for around $125 and it has the drill round with it!
Consider it is nothing more than a metal tube with a 200 pound spring driving a steel rod. Only good for display since there ain't no ammo.
Oh by the way, If you do manage to cock it, you cannot uncock it by pulling the trigger without damaging it. (Learned that the hard way since I didn't read the handbook through before doing that.) You have to reverse the cocking procedure and ease the spring down.

thorin6
05-01-2012, 01:12
I saw one on a forum in the past six months that sold for $600; nothing but the tube, as I recall. A year or two ago I saw one with a bunch of accessories and as my memory isn't that great, I think it went for $800-900.

Guamsst
05-01-2012, 04:22
Well, I checked gunbroker but the one listed is the one I am trading on. Considering there is only one available and it is in good shape I guess $1,300 in trade isn't unreasonable. IMA at $2,000 seems completely over the top.

Thanks guys.

PhillipM
05-01-2012, 05:06
Well, I checked gunbroker but the one listed is the one I am trading on. Considering there is only one available and it is in good shape I guess $1,300 in trade isn't unreasonable. IMA at $2,000 seems completely over the top.

Thanks guys.

What value is the darn thing? You can't get ammo, you can't shoot it at the range, it's just a dust collector.

Guamsst
05-02-2012, 06:25
What value is the darn thing? You can't get ammo, you can't shoot it at the range, it's just a dust collector.

Hmmmm That's what I think when I go to a museum too. I'm all like "This crap don't work, why don't they turn it in for scrap?"

As a rare example of a unique weapon, it has a serious collector value whether it works or not. Seriously, people spent fortunes on Beani Babies and you are gonna fault someone for wanting a PIAT?...LOL

JBinIll
05-02-2012, 10:06
Here's one on gunsamerica-

http://www.gunsamerica.com/909088135/Non-Guns/Military/De-Milled-Weapons/WW2_BRITISH_PIAT_WITH_RARE_ROCKET_ALL_ORIGL_AND_CO MPLETE.htm

John Sukey
05-02-2012, 01:15
Just like my 2 inch mortar with transit case. No live ammo available LOL. But I do have dummy rounds and the carrier for them
Firing mechamism is inop. oddly enough, that used enfield revolver parts

Guamsst
05-03-2012, 06:45
Thanks JB, IMA turned out to have theirs at $1,250 not $2,000 and it was sold. Looks like the price is right on this one. Thanks guys.

Guamsst
05-03-2012, 08:55
Well, I will go check out the PIAT tomorrow and will also be looking at trading on a flamethrower....and maybe a Bazooka. I am bringing a truckload (literally) of guns and toys to trade so as long as he isn't too crazy on the flamethrower I should have some cool new toys tomorrow evening.

PhillipM
05-03-2012, 09:01
I think 12k + or - is good on the flamethrower, if functional. I got some weeds I need burnt if you get it!

Guamsst
05-04-2012, 05:09
Flamethrower is nonfunctional, Appears to be WW2 tanks and original hose with repro WW2 wand, on a Korean era pack frame. Got it for $3k in trade of which I spent probably $1,500 on the items I traded. Found out a functional repro flamethrower is $10K

PIAT is very solid but needs the canvas for the buttpad and cheekrest. Got it for $1,300 in trade items I probably spent about $1,100 on. It has the Very rare training plate with it too which is apparently worth $200.

Don't know the realistic value on them, but I know I am the only kid on my block with these toys.

Guamsst
05-05-2012, 10:35
Oh, and lest I forget, on the Murphy's law side. I pulled a muscle in my lower back when loading my truck. Ofcourse, I then traded for two of the heaviest pieces of equipment you can get and now can't play with them without looking like an old man :( NOT COOL!

John Sukey
05-06-2012, 10:25
Just a thought, the U.S. dummy rifle grenade is quite similar to the training grenade for the Piat. Just give it a coat of black paint.:D

By the way, container for the fuze for the piat round is clipped to the tail fin. Only inserted in the nose when the round is ready to be used.

Guamsst
05-08-2012, 07:38
Just a thought, the U.S. dummy rifle grenade is quite similar to the training grenade for the Piat. Just give it a coat of black paint.:D

No need for all that John, I happen to have just purchased a U.S. training rifle grenade which is already black. All I have to do is dig it out of my pile o stuff and see how it looks in there :)

John, do you have the canvas pieces on your PIAT? I am thinking of making some repros. At a minimum I figure if you can post pics and measurements of the cheak rest I can make that part no problem.

John Sukey
05-08-2012, 10:04
Me, post pics? ROTFLMAO! I thought everyone knew I am Kumpewter challenged. If you promise to send them back, I can loan you the canvas pieces
The cover for the buttplate would require the services of someone with an industrial sewing machine,as it's rather complicated. but the part that wraps around the tube should be simple enough to duplicate. I can even trace that on a sheet of paper.

PhillipM
05-08-2012, 10:16
Oh, and lest I forget, on the Murphy's law side. I pulled a muscle in my lower back when loading my truck. Ofcourse, I then traded for two of the heaviest pieces of equipment you can get and now can't play with them without looking like an old man :( NOT COOL!

Perhaps this should be your next milsurp purchase. :evil6:

http://blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2009/08/transitier-001.JPG

Guamsst
05-08-2012, 10:42
Me, post pics? ROTFLMAO! I thought everyone knew I am Kumpewter challenged. If you promise to send them back, I can loan you the canvas pieces.

John, that would be superfluous :) I Swear I will send them back. Do you still have my address? I was thinking on the rear pad that most of that would be done with hand stitching, Not like I plan on making thousands of them. Unfortunately my only friend with industrial sewing equipment has been out of touch for a few years now.

If you would like to ensure them, I will pay the insurance cost+postage. Not that they are really replaceable but atleast then, the post office has to track them and be accountable for them.

Hal O'Peridol
05-12-2012, 04:57
Guamsgt......I noticed an Enfield sniper transit chest in the pics.........was that for sale also?

Guamsst
05-13-2012, 11:00
Sorry Hal, thats a different PIAT than the one I got. The one I traded for was listed on gunbroker but he pulled the ad as soon as I said I wanted it.

jgaynor
05-15-2012, 07:26
I believe Service Armament had the PIATS for $9.95 apiece in the '60s. After awhile they dropped the price to two for $9.95.

Barryeye
05-15-2012, 06:20
Jgaynor’s post made me dig out an old scrap book I made many years ago. I had a box of old cuttings that I found of interest and just stuck them in an old book. Unfortunatly I failed to date them when I cut them out. If Jgaynor is right then this cutting is from the 60s. Oh for a time machine. I wonder what $9.95 is in today’s money. Still cheap by any standard.16326

John Sukey
05-16-2012, 02:12
The guy that wrote that advert obviously NEVER picked up a PIAT It weighs 38 pounds!

Guamsst
05-16-2012, 09:58
I have a fitness test in two weeks. The PIAT is on the floor next to the mat I do my situps on. I had been using a stack of books to weigh my upper body down. I got the bright idea to use the PIAT as a weight tonight. I cradled the PIAT across my collar bones/throat. This had two obvious effects. #1, it dropped my nightly situps from 40 and a slight warm sensation to 25 with burning abs. #2 it made the bookshelf I hook my feet under, rock around and slide on the floor...LOL

I will be adding more books to the shelf tomorrow night as my girlfriends cactus collection is on top of it and the thought of being pinned with a bookshelf on my knees, cactai on my belly and a PIAT on my throat does not seem like a fun way to spend an evening :) I think I could have done 30 situps but as I started to struggle, the bookshelf started getting allot more active.

Barryeye
05-17-2012, 12:42
Imagine the worst case scenario. The book case topples over and crushes you to death. I suppose that would have made you the first man killed by a PIAT in over 65 years, A call to fame you could well do without.

Guamsst
05-17-2012, 05:31
Well, I'm not completely careless, it is a short book case :) This morning my abs feel like they took a good solid beating last night.

John Sukey
08-08-2012, 12:43
Progress in copying those parts I sent you? It's been a while.