PDA

View Full Version : question for the markings on ammo, for argentine mauser

pelago
04-22-2012, 09:03
have a couple of argentine mausers, never shot them,never found ammo, not counting the cruddy 90 year old stuff that sometimes comes up

however

found five hundred rounds of this
7.65 X 54 SF 75
got it pretty cheap, so even if i have to pull bullets and de prime, clean and reload cost was good

what do i have, corrosive,? all of the bores in my rifles are pretty darn good shape and hate go get crud in there, even thought i can be removed, but am curious and i know there are experts here that can id it in minute

dave
04-23-2012, 06:31
I would treat all foreign made ammo as corrsive. In a bolt rifle that is not a problem, just clean good with a cleaner that is made for it, or soap & hot water. As for the ammo, none made has used corrisive powder since black powder days (which cause much crude), its the primers. Even the US used corrsive primers into the 1950's. Your ammo may have been loaded in 1975---however I would not trust it to be w/o corrsive primers. You do not get "crude" in your barrel but salts, from chemical reaction during firing!
I use that stinky WW11 bore cleaner, never had a problem! Modern US mil. cleaner will not cut the salts.

Tuna
04-24-2012, 07:20
And the odds are that it's Berdan primed and not Boxer. Very hard to reload the Berdan compared to the Boxer. Shoot and then scrap the brass.