PDA

View Full Version : 98 feeding problem

older than dirt
04-05-2012, 12:17
OK, I have an Interarms Mark X in .270W which is built on a commerical 98 Mauser action. The rifle has a very nice metal & wood finish & is very accreate. Now there is an ammo feeding problem with it. If I charge the magazine with 1 round or up to 4 rounds, it will function as fast as I can cycle the bolt. But if I load that 5th one in the mag. the bolt over rides it & the round will move forward from friction & up the ramp & the head will be forced down in the mag well & jam. I have to release the floor plate to get them out. Any thoughts on this problem & if so, is it an easy fix? Thanks in advance.

Art
04-05-2012, 07:21
Are you sure it's got a 5 round magazine. Sometimes with a commercial rifle a five round capacity is 4 in the mag and one in the pipe. I have a Rem 700 like that. Remington says the magazine capacity is 4. I can make it work with five rounds in the magazine but it dosen't like it and I take that as a message from God.

older than dirt
04-05-2012, 08:43
Are you sure it's got a 5 round magazine. Sometimes with a commercial rifle a five round capacity is 4 in the mag and one in the pipe. I have a Rem 700 like that. Remington says the magazine capacity is 4. I can make it work with five rounds in the magazine but it dosen't like it and I take that as a message from God.

You know, I was thinking about that. (4 round mag) I bought this rifle used & the seller was a friend of the owner (pass on) & he didn`t know much about it. Thanks for the input.

kcw
04-06-2012, 05:23
According to page 16 of my Mark X factory manual (circa 1974) , the magazine capacity of the 243 & 308 is four (4).

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
04-06-2012, 12:37
OK, I have an Interarms Mark X in .270W which is built on a commerical 98 Mauser action. The rifle has a very nice metal & wood finish & is very accreate. Now there is an ammo feeding problem with it. If I charge the magazine with 1 round or up to 4 rounds, it will function as fast as I can cycle the bolt. But if I load that 5th one in the mag. the bolt over rides it & the round will move forward from friction & up the ramp & the head will be forced down in the mag well & jam. I have to release the floor plate to get them out. Any thoughts on this problem & if so, is it an easy fix? Thanks in advance.

Follower rib may need alteration or the follower spring may be too weak or maybe the rear of the follower is too wide (this one is unlikely). Good luck.

jt

kcw
04-06-2012, 07:43
According to page 16 of my Mark X factory manual (circa 1974) , the magazine capacity of the 243 & 308 is four (4).

Sorry, I should have gone to explain that the same Mark X owner's manual states that the capacity for cals. 22-250, 270 & 06' is five (5).

dave
04-07-2012, 06:40
Well just use it as a 4 rd. mag. Problem solved!

older than dirt
04-07-2012, 07:19
Well just use it as a 4 rd. mag. Problem solved!

That`s what I`m planning on doing!