PDA

View Full Version : Speciallty plates

High Plaines Doug r
03-07-2012, 08:21
Guys,

I’m conflicted and ask the forum’s opinion.

My Dad carried Texas Legion of Valor plates on his car as a benefit of having been awarded the DSC in WWII. He paid nothing extra for these plates and it granted him free parking at San Antonio International Air Port and probably at the capitol in Austin (Not that he ever used either of those privileges).

Now, here in Colorado I can buy Bronze Star with “V” plates providing I produce my DD214 with BSM/V documentation for the DMV here. I think I have to pay $50 or so for the plates the 1st year.

I’m proud of the 11 months I spent in Southeast Asia although I was a pretty indifferent soldier otherwise. (Nothing to compare to the 33 years of service my father provided).

Question: Is it pretentious of me to want to display a BSM with “V” license plate?

Actually, I would be equally happy to buy a Combat Infantry Badge plate if one was made available and I don’t have the same mixed feelings with regard to display of that award (since I KNOW I actually earned that one).
Thanks,

Doug

Cosine26
03-07-2012, 08:46
I believe that it is a matter of personal preference. Certainly you should not be ashamed of but should be proud service in NAM or any hostile zone.

amber
03-07-2012, 10:17
I have always felt that the CIB is a decoration that is right near the top. Anyone so honored with it should display it proudly.

Guamsst
03-08-2012, 06:58
I can't get past the $50 fee to decide if it is pretentious or not.

I see tons of DV (disabled Veteran) and purple heart/ branch of service plates in Texas. I don't know if they cost extra or not, I may have to check into it now.

High Plaines Doug r
03-08-2012, 07:16
I can't get past the $50 fee to decide if it is pretentious or not.

I see tons of DV (disabled Veteran) and purple heart/ branch of service plates in Texas. I don't know if they cost extra or not, I may have to check into it now.

I believe Colorado issues DV and Purple Heart plates w/o charge to qualified vets and I'm pretty sure Texas does too. The $50 BSM/V fee is what makes me think only the pretentious would pay for the recognition.

Amber:
If Colorado issued or made available a CIB plate, I'd have it on my car.

Thanks guys, I'll wait for the CIB plate to come out before I jump in.

Doug

Ken The Kanuck
03-08-2012, 07:30
Not having served perhaps I am not a very good person to speak, but I believe that all who have served have every right to be proud and we who have not owe them a debt of thanks.

KTK

High Plaines Doug r
03-08-2012, 08:28
As I said in the OP, I'm proud of my service but that's not the point. If the plates are a method of bonding with others who have a similar experience, I'm good with that. I'm not looking for a thank you at this 42 year old juncture, a lot of vets have given much more than I ever did.
The point of wearing the plates would be: "Hey! Brother. Welcome home!"

Otherwise, it's not worth the $50 bucks to me.
Do the plates communicate that sentiment?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Doug

Sarge
03-08-2012, 11:20
WHO told you that the BS plates are $50???
The following in Colorado are FREE! - POW, Pearl Harbor Survivor, DV, MOH, Silver Star, Bronze Star & Purple Heart.
The 2nd set will cost you - NOT the first!
If you qualify for more than 1 of the above and have more than 1 vehicle you can have a different Free plate on each vehicle. I have the PH plate on my truck and the DV on my motorcycle/side car rig. I got those before the SS, & BS plates came out or I might have done them differently.
Do you belong to the CIB assoc? We have a chapter here in Colo.
Sarge

High Plaines Doug r
03-09-2012, 09:16
Sarge,

From the Colorado Dept of Revenue website (I bolded the Fees paragraph):

"Bronze Star of Valor

Available For: Passenger cars, trucks that do not exceed 16,000 pounds empty weight, noncommercial or recreation vehicles, motor homes, motorcycles.

Who Qualifies: Any person who can demonstrate being awarded the Bronze Star of Valor medal.

Requirements: Qualifying person must submit a copy of form DD214 (issued by the U.S. Government) or military orders that demonstrate being awarded the Bronze Star of Valor medal, along with the DR 2690 form .

Fees: One time fee of $50.00 for issuance and replacement of plates, in addition to other taxes and fees.

Number of Plates Allowed: Unlimited."

I've never heard of the Combat Infantry Association. I'll look into it.

Doug

Sarge
03-12-2012, 11:13
That sounds like the 2nd or more set of plates. On all of these that I know of anything past the 1st set of plates you have to pay for, BUT that first set is free.
Call DMV and ask them.
Sarge

High Plaines Doug r
03-13-2012, 10:12
That sounds like the 2nd or more set of plates. On all of these that I know of anything past the 1st set of plates you have to pay for, BUT that first set is free.
Call DMV and ask them.
Sarge
I have spoken to DMV when I was there registering a car back in November. That's where I learned of the plates. They made it clear and the website is clear that you are mistaken with regard to the BSM/V plate fees.

Doug

Sean P Gilday
04-26-2012, 04:49
Personal preference. I'm entitled to free NYS Purple Heart plates, but dont want them.

High Plaines Doug r
04-28-2012, 02:23
Sean,
I can imagine your mixed feelings about that decoration.
On one hand you were in the wrong place at the wrong time; on the other, you took a shot that otherwise would have been aimed at someone else so you made a contribution in blood. That's a bigger sacrifice than I ever made.
Welcome home.

Doug

Art
04-30-2012, 11:30
I see assorted military decoration plates, especially Purple Heart ones all over Texas. Message plates are a different story. I have a "war on terrorism" plate on the small SUV that I drive, cost me $30.00 and is good for at least five years which is when Texas requires plates to be replaced Since the car was already five years old when I bought it I think it'll be the last one on that vehicle. . I'm with you on the decoration plates. If I was qualified for one, and I'm not, I think I'd feel conflicted too. I avoid events where they might ask veterans to rise, makes me uncomfortable. Being singled out for what in my case was really a very ordinary military career bothers me a bit.

High Plaines Doug r
04-30-2012, 08:19
Art,
I think your post actually settles the plates question for me.
As a draftee, my 1 year, 6 month, 7 day active carrier in the Army was quite mundane except for a very few moments.
I'm not interested in responding to the questions of everyday, curious onlookers.

Thanks for your post,
Doug

P.S And thanks for the contributions of all previous posters to the thread.

noslack327
05-14-2012, 01:59
I have a Viet Nam Vet plate on my 68 Lemans, and a BSM plate on my GMC. Both cost extra here In wi, The extra cost goes to the states va.

Bill D
06-08-2012, 02:23
I certainly don't qualify for any military decoration plates but do/did qualify for Colorado Pioneers plates. For this, you had to have had ancestors that had been in the state for 100 years. You had to go through a pretty comprehensive process to prove your "Pioneer" status also. They charged extra for these, too. I found out a year ago that NOW, anyone with the extra money can get Pioneer plates, "no questions asked". Hell, they probably would sell you BSM plates "no questions asked" also.

comm pogue
06-09-2012, 02:23
ii think states charging vets is BS! in Indiana as a Lutheran i can get a "in God we trust " plate free, as a vet they want to charge me? no way will i pay for a "Hoosier Vet" plate, i tend to be cheap though. JMHO.........Semper Fi

Former Cav
06-21-2012, 05:42
I refuse to pay extra for a purple heart plate. IMHO, it should be provided at NO extra cost! Just my opinion. And that also holds true for ALL veteran type plates, and / or awards.

Art
06-22-2012, 06:58
I'm old enough to remember when there were no speciality or vanity plates. The only reason these plates exist is because they are used as a fundraiser, so nobody's ever getting one for free. One of our cars, a Subaru Forester has a Texas "Fight Terrorism" specialty plate, it's the first and the last we'll own since "Fighting Terrorism" was sort of a family tradition here with us, and we think the message is important.

comm pogue
06-22-2012, 08:13
Indiana has 8 free plates, "Hoosier Veteran" is not one of them. i don't know about the DAV plate. myself i took the property tax credit, my house is worth more than my cars!.......Semper Fi