PDA

View Full Version : 1937 Vz24 Help

bnew
03-02-2012, 09:30
Have a friend that got a bring back a few weeks ago. It is a 1937 VZ24 Chek that was captured in Japan. It has a 06 barrel on it. Is that normal or has it been changed. The serial numbers on the receive,. bolt and receiver all match. The barrel has E3 with a lions head over it on the side. There is another marking on the top of the barrel. Any help would be appreciated.

kcw
03-03-2012, 02:15
Have a friend that got a bring back a few weeks ago. It is a 1937 VZ24 Chek that was captured in Japan. It has a 06 barrel on it. Is that normal or has it been changed. The serial numbers on the receive,. bolt and receiver all match. The barrel has E3 with a lions head over it on the side. There is another marking on the top of the barrel. Any help would be appreciated.

VZ24's were sold to China. Many of those ended up in Japanese hands. Also there was a direct sale to the Jap navy, I believe those rifles are known as the "P series". Those rifles were all sold in 8mm I believe.

dave
03-03-2012, 06:45
Is the serial prceeded by a P? What is the condition, the ones that came out of Japan were purchased by the Japanese Navy and saw little use. Many GI's got these right out of storage on jap navy bases. Few, if any, (I would say none!) were brought home by GI's that came from China, these are recent imports (captured rifles most likely stayed in China for use there). I think the figure is 40,000 purchased by Japan (figures from factory records, CZ). The E3 on the barrel would indicate inspection at Brno, Czech. and would seem it should be in the original 7.9 m/m Mauser. The barrel would have to be relined to be accurate with a 30 cal. bullet (.308 vs. .323 bore). I have 2 of these rifles, neither has import marks, one was taken into service by the Czech military in 1938 (bring back form ETO or early import) while the other may have been a bring back from the Pacific, as its like new almost.
Are you sure the E3 has no date (2 numbers) after it? And are you sure it is on the barrel and not on the reciever above the serial number? What is the story on it being a bring back and 30-06? Buy the gun, not the story!

Calif Steve
03-17-2012, 10:22
The 8mm-06 was a common 1950's conversion of 8mm Mauser rifles. Handloading cartridge today.

dave
03-18-2012, 07:01
Yes, if the rifle is going to be fired be sure the correct caliber is determined first!